Table of Contents
Are you interested in writing for screens and looking for a career in an entertainment industry or movie industry? You just need a good screenwriting app for Windows or Mac, whichever platform you use. A perfect software will help you blend your thoughts in a perfect screenplay. These screenwriting tools are for both amateur storytellers and professional screenwriters.
While looking for the best screenwriting apps, be wise as they cost a lot and you should not put yourself forward to a path that is full of holes. Therefore, buy a perfect screenwriting software keeping the important things in mind. Here are listed a few screenwriting apps for Windows and Mac to help you get started with your upcoming screenwriting project.
Best Screenwriting Apps For Windows/Mac
1. Final Draft: The Best In Industry Standard Screenwriting Software
Final Draft screenwriting apps is the best screenwriting software and is prominently used in the industry of film and television. Even the networks like BBC, NETFLIX, etc. prefers screenplays written using Final Draft- the industry standard software for Screenwriting.
Final Draft is an expensive software for everyone to use. However, its price seems worth it due to the amazing features it offers.
- Over 300-templates to choose from.
- Includes templates for screenplays, teleplays, comics, stage plays etc.
- Offers features like SmartType Speech to Script, Alternate Dialogue Feature and more.
Download: Final Draft for Windows | macOS
Price: $249.99, free trial available
2. Movie Magic Screenwriter
Movie Magic Screenwriter is yet another award-winning software that can be used to create an amazing screenplay, stageplays, teleplay, musical, comic book, or a novel. The Movie Magic screenwriter offers multiple brainstorming and outlining tools, 100+ templates and more such outlining tools to help you get started.
Movie Magic not only lets you write but also lets you hear your screenplay with its Text-to-speech feature.
- AutoBackup by Movie Magic lets you stay worry free for your work, it auto-save your work in real time.
- Connect with your writing partner online through iPartner.
- Helps you sort with everything you need from a story idea to spec to shooting script.
Price: $249.95, free trial available
3. WriterDuet: Cloud-Based Screenwriting Software
WriterDuet is a cloud-based screenwriting app for Windows and Mac users. The best part of this tool is that it is built for collaboration along with integrated outlining, tagging, and filtering. WriterDuet as the name says gives you a space wherein you enjoy real-time co-writing, intuitive commenting, and in-app text and video chats and more.
Being cloud-based, WriterDuet projects can be accessed anytime and anywhere with an internet connection, on any of the platforms. WriterDuet allows you to use everything from outlining to rewriting, access its useful tools i.e. scene cards, tagging, and effortless formatting.
- Subscription-based pricing model.
- Provides you a space for writing your first three scripts for free.
- Signup WriterSolo, when needed.
Get WriterDuet premium subscription, starting at $7.99/month.
4. Celtx: The Complete Pre-Production Suite
Another amazing screenwriting app for the web, Celtx, lets you take your script ahead from pre-production to shooting. You can start from scratch and modify it as per your screenplay. Create story on the index cards, create screenplay, breakdown reports, narrators and a lot more using this worthy software. Not only this, Celtx lets you compile all your shot lists, and print out a shooting script as per your convenience.
With this handy tool, you can proceed forward with the entire process easily by collaborating with your team across multiple documents and editing together with your team in real-time.
- Unlock the premium version of Celtx for more features and unlimited project
- Collaborate with your team in real-time.
- No hassle of losing your documents with Celtx secure backup.
Visit the Celtx website for more information.
5. Trelby: Free Screenwriting Software For Windows
Trelby is the best option when it comes to a tool that is fast, simple, and reliable screenwriting software for Windows. This amazing free tool for screenwriting works on both Windows and Linux machines. The only drawback is that Trelby is not available for macOS.
Trelby provides you an access to its database wherein 200,000 names from across the world have been stored. Also, you can choose from its prominent features like draft view or What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) mode.
- Advanced features like auto-complete, spell check, smart formatting to easily finish your screenplay.
- Choose from Draft View, What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) modes.
- Ease to choose character names from its library of over 200,000 names.
Download: Trelby for Windows (Free)
For the Screenwriters….!
The screenwriting apps listed above are the top picks amongst hundreds of available ones. Each one of these apps helps a beginner or a pro artist create screenplays in easy to understand and a proper script format. Having these amazing tools by your side will ease the process of formatting screenplay texts. You can however use MS Word, Google Docs for writing scripts if you love to put manual efforts. All you need to have is a basic know-how of how to format a screenplay.
These apps are just an alternative to the features you get along with industry-stated screenwriting software. But, you can always rely on them to get sorted with your creatives and these formats are acceptable in the entertainment industry.
Liked this article? Drop us your feedback or suggestions in the comments section below.