We all use MS Word to type, and rely on it for the spelling checks and grammar checks. What if on some fine day, the feature stops working and you have no idea about how to resolve Microsoft Word spell check not working.
There are a number of methods to rectify Word autocorrect not working and here in this article we are going to educate you about them. The methods described below works for version 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010 of MS Word and Microsoft Word 365.
Ways To Fix Word Spell Check Not Working:
1. How to Use Word’s Spelling and Grammar Checker
This is the first method of making spell check not working in MS Word, work effectively.
Word has its own grammar checking tool and knowing how it works is an effective way to tackle the spell check not working in Word. By using the F7 key you can easily run the tool manually, or else you can follow the steps below:
- Launch MS Word and click on the Review tab.
- Now, click on Spelling & Grammar or Check Document from the Proofing Section.
- You can choose between ignore or correct to locate grammar and spelling errors.
2. Check the Spelling and Grammar Settings:
If Microsoft Word spell check is not working it might be possible that the settings meant for doing the job may have been altered. To check if they are, follow the instructions below:
- Launch MS Word and navigate to File tab > Options.
- From the Options window click on Proofing.
- Here check mark the option with title Check spelling as you type. For grammar check, check the option mark grammar error as you type.
- If you wish to check whether the settings has been applied to the current document, click on Recheck Document.
- Finally click on OK to save the changes.
Also Read: How to Change Language on Google Chrome?
3. Keep A Check On The Language Settings:
This method of resolving the word auto correct not working error involves keeping a check on the Language Settings. Under this you can disable the spelling check feature as well and change the region according to your requirement.
Follow the steps to know more about it:
- Launch MS Word and then then a document you want to check for word auto correct not working.
- Select the entire document by pressing Ctrl + A together.
- Once the document is selected, choose the Review button and then select Language.
- Post this, select the option named Set Proofing Language. As soon as you click on it, a new dialog box will appear.
- Here, choose the preferred language and make sure you have selected the correct region associated with it.
- Check mark the option that says Do not check spelling or grammar.
- Finally click on OK for the changes to apply.
Once done, you can test the document by pressing the F7 key. This will let you know whether you were successful able to resolve Microsoft word spell check not working Error.
In most cases, the problem gets resolved with the three methods mentioned above. However, if the problem still persists, you can go ahead and try the methods mentioned below.
4. Check for Exceptions:
If you are still unable to resolve the word autocorrect not working error, there are chances that there are some exceptions made for the word documents. To explore it more follow the steps below:
- Launch MS Word and then select the File option.
- Here look for Options and click on it.
- Now, from the left panel under Word Option, look for the Proofing option and click on it.
- Finally Uncheck all the options present under the Exceptions For option.
- Lastly, click on Ok to make the changes.
If you have tried all the above methods to resolve MS Word spell check not working without success, the last method is to use the built-in Repair feature.
5. Repair Word:
In this you can use the Repair Utility provided by MS Office and resolve the problem. The steps mentioned below are for MS Outlook in Windows 10:
- Close all the Microsoft Applications opened on your Windows 10 PC.
- From the Windows search, type Apps & Features and then select the same
- Post this, choose the option named Microsoft Office from the installed applications.
- Now, click on Modify.
- From the user account window, click on Yes.
- Once you have done this, select Online Repair and then Repair.
- Restart MS Word for the changes to reflect.
So guys if you too are a frequent user of MS Word and rely on it for all the grammar and spell check, it is beneficial if you know how to resolve Microsoft Word spell check not working errors. At any point of time, if the spell and grammar check feature stops working you can refer to our article and easily resolve the problem.