Table of Contents
From your cell phone to the advanced MacBook, downloading apps isn’t something that needs extraordinary tech knowledge. Everything is easy since you have got their separate app stores where you just need to sign in with the valid email address & start downloading apps. Now If we talk about downloading apps on MacBook, there are different ways you can opt for.
Even though you are quite an expert when it comes to downloading MacBook apps, there is a possibility that you are using only one of the ways. Since we are talking about different ways, there is no harm exploring every one of them & check whichever one is working out best for you. So from official to the supportive ones, let’s check out the ways to download MacBook apps:
Here Are The Ways to Download Apps on MacBook
1. Download MacBook Apps From App Store
Nothing new that can come to you as a shock because everyone of us prefers to download apps from the App Store. The reason behind this step is that it comes with reliability, trust, security, & whatnot.
Because before those apps have been put on the App Store platform, they get checked thoroughly from every aspect. & in order to download MacBook apps from the App Store, follow below steps:
- You need to click or navigate to the Mac App Store from the launch pad or the dock
- Simply type in the name of the app you want to download for your MacBook (you can directly search for it as well)
- Once you narrow down the app & it finishes the downloading (round completion), you can click on tap to open up the app.
There are situations where you can face issues while downloading MacBook apps from the App Store. Many of these app-downloading-issues can be taken care of by signing out of your App Store account/Apple account/iCloud account & login again.
Also Read: Common MacBook Problems and Ways To Fix Them
2. Download MacBook Apps From The Internet
Not one of the common ways MacBook users opt for while trying to download apps apart from the App Store. Using the internet means the infinite ocean of security breaches & malicious contents, & that’s where you try to download MacBook apps. Not that this is one of the best ways to download Mac apps, however, sometimes you are bound to use it because you might not be able to find the app you were looking for, on the App Store.
Apple calls this feature “from the internet” where you are downloading MacBook apps not from the App Store. & once you download MacBook apps from the internet (third party tools or platforms), & try to open it for installation, the system will ask you for additional information.
Please note whenever you download apps through the internet, the download content is in the form of .DMG. So let’s open up the .DMG file & start installing the app you just downloaded:
- Visit or go to the Finder & then Downloads to find the downloaded apps on the Mac
- Here you need to tap on .DMG archive to open it up for installation, however, you may get the prompt “unidentified developer”.
This is where Gatekeeper comes in because every app on your device is being secured by Apple protocols (Gatekeeper is a part of them). So imagine you click on one unsecured or bad behaving content link, your device is at risk.
3. So if you want to open up the downloaded app, follow the below steps:
- You need to keep a hold on to the Ctrl key as well as click on the app you want to install on your MacBook
- Now from the menu, tap on Open & within no time, you will see that your MacBook app is being installed though there are security restrictions.
Downloading MacBook apps from internal as well as external resources isn’t complicated at all. However, a bit of precaution is always advisable because you don’t know what app or link can give your MacBook a hard time.
Normally we all know how to download the apps & are quite an expert on it, but there are a few tips that can help you & won’t harm you any way as mentioned below:
- Keep yourself miles away from unsecured or malicious websites including BitTorrent.
- Keep a track of all the recently installed apps on a regular basis if they are working properly.
- You need to keep enough space on your device before downloading apps so it can function smoothly.
- We know how to download apps but while uninstalling apps also, delete them as a whole (no components must be left behind).
There are many ways to download apps on your device irrespective of what mobile operating system you are using. Provided that, it’s you who need to decide which way you are going to use from those because you might regret it later. & if we talk about downloading MacBook apps, the ways (App Store & the Internet) are limited but use the latter way only when you are in dire need & that too with utmost precaution.
Explore both the ways on your MacBook to download apps but keep in mind to have the precautions ready as one click on a malicious link can give you nightmares.