You are persistent in watching Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu libraries not available in your country. And, for this, you’ve even signed up for one of the best VPN services. Great! But still, you just can’t. Your VPN is blocked, completely defeating its original purpose i.e. to let you circumvent geo-restricted content. Take an extra mile and bypass any VPN blocks coming your way.
Whether your VPN is blocked by your ISP or whether your VPN is blocked by a firewall, here are some steps which could possibly help you bypass VPN blocks.
What To Do If VPN Is Blocked By Firewall/ ISP/ Country?
|Table Of Contents For Quick Navigation
|– Add An Exclusion To Your Security Software Or Disable It
● Add An Exclusion To Your Security Software Or Disable It
If your Windows firewall is blocking the VPN or the security software is blocking it, you can disable it for a while. Another fix is that you can uninstall your security software and install it only after you have installed your VPN. In the case of Windows Defender, you can add the VPN as an exclusion. The steps for the same are mentioned below –
1. Type Windows Security in the Windows search bar
2. From the right-hand pane choose Virus and threat protection under Protection areas
3. Under Virus & threat protection settings click on Manage settings
4. Scroll down till you see Exclusions. Click on Add or remove exclusions and then click on the + sign
● Consider Changing Your VPN
Click Here to Download Systweak VPN
Most reputed VPNs have stealth/ obfuscations protocols that can help you bypass VPN blocks whether on the end of ISP, firewall, or even your own admin.
Consider using a VPN like Systweak VPN which uses a highly configurable OpenVPN that hides packet data headers and avoids detection by firewalls and filters. Apart from that, it has a dedicated Stealth mode which lets you unblock VPN. Also, you can change OpenVPN port as well. It is for the same reason that you can prevent your VPN from being blocked by ISP as well.
● Take The Help Of Registry Editor
In case your VPN is blocked by a firewall you can make tweaks to software policies in Google Chrome. For this, you will have to take the help of the registry editor. But, beware! As a precautionary measure make sure you backup your registries before proceeding with this step as registries contain information, settings, and other values pertaining to applications and hardware on your computer.
1. Press Windows + R key and type regedit in the run dialog box
2. When the registry editor opens navigate to the following path
HKEY _LOCAL_MACHINE > software > policies > Google > Chrome
3. Delete the whole Chrome folder
● Enable PPTP Rule In Windows Defender Firewall
For bypassing VPN blocked by firewall or security software on your computer, you can enable the PPTP
1. Type Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security and click Open
2. On the left-hand side under Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security on Local Computer, do the following actions –
- Click on Inbound Rules > from the right-hand side under Inbound Rules scroll down till you find Routing and Remote Access (PPTP-In) > right-click on it and click on Enable rule
- Click on Outbound Rules > from the right-hand side under Outbound Rules scroll down till you find Routing and Remote Access (PPTP-In) > right-click on it and click on Enable rule
Can An ISP (Internet Service Provider) Block My VPN? And, If Yes What Can Be Done?
Although, quite a rare scenario, the reason why you are not able to connect to a VPN could be that your ISP has blocked the IP associated with your VPN provider. In that case you can choose from high quality VPN service providers such as Systweak VPN which have a presence of several servers. Plus, it even has stringent protocols which make it next to impossible for an ISP to track your IP address.
A VPN connection mostly gets blocked out of technical issues (or in very rare cases it can be blocked by an ISP or a country). And, unless and until you are not desperately indulging into anything illegal, you should not write it off as something illegal. Want to know more myths surrounding VPN, here they are.
It can be frustrating when you are not able to connect to a VPN, maybe because your VPN is not allowed through the firewall or your VPN is blocked by the country you are in. The above steps should help you bypass such VPN blocks. And, if it did, do give this blog a thumbs up and share it with your friends and family. If you have a more effective way of bypassing a VPN, you can shoot it in the comments section below.