Table of Contents
The search feature in Microsoft Outlook is a very useful tool that gives you search results for all that you ask for. But sometimes it crashes or stops responding. It is not a major issue that can be solved by performing some steps which we have discussed below in the blog.
Go through these solutions step by step and make the search feature of Outlook work again.
Ways to Fix Outlook Search Not Working:
1. Run Windows search troubleshooter
Windows troubleshooting is the best way to fix any minimal issue in a computer. With this basic troubleshooting, you can easily get rid of the Outlook search not working issue.
To initiate the process of Troubleshooting navigate to:-
- Start> Setting> Update and Security
- Under Update and Security navigate to Troubleshoot> Additional Troubleshooters
- Under Additional Troubleshooters search for Search and Indexing
- After selecting Search and Indexing, you will get a prompt wherein you have to check Outlook search doesn’t return results.
- Once the troubleshooting is completed, you will get the result Window search is not working Fixed.
2. Rebuild outlook index
- Type Control Panel in Windows search bar and open it
- Open Programs> Programs & Features> Outlook 2019, Microsoft Office
- Navigate to the top menu and select Change. Here choose Quick Repair (Without internet connection) or Online Repair (With Internet connection).
- Once the process is complete, restart the computer.
Method 2. Use outlook index repair menu
- Open Outlook> Files> Options> Search
- Indexing Option> Advanced> Rebuild> Ok
- Restart computer
3. Check outlook index location
Open outlook and follow the steps:-
- File> Options> Search> Indexing Options.
- In the indexing option panel, select modify.
- Check Microsoft Outlook> Ok
- Restart system
4. Use registry to find Outlook search
Outlook search is repaired by the registry also. To repair it with a registry, follow the process:-
- Press the Windows+R key. When the dialogue box is open, type regedit and press enter.
- Press the Ctrl+F key and copy-paste the command
- Wait for the search to complete
- Once found select the right-hand panel then right-click and select New Dword (32-Bit).
- Change the New Dword (32-Bit) as PreventIndexingOutlook assign it the value 0.
- Press Ok and restart the computer.
5. Update Microsoft Office 2019
Updating Microsoft Office often solves the issue of Outlook search not working. It is advised to update Microsoft Office to the latest version. To update it, follow the process:-
Note:- Use this option only, if you have a registered version of Microsoft Office.
- Open Outlook> File> Office Account
- Select Update Options under product information.
- Select Update Now (If applicable)
6. Repair outlook personal folder file
Inbox Repair tool helps you to repair Outlook personal folder files (.PST).
Locate repair tool. Look for scanpst.exe in one of the following locations:-
- 32-bit Office 2016 and newer: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\
- 64-bit Office 2016 and newer: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\
- 64-bit Outlook 2016 and newer: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\
- Office 365 (2016 package): C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\office16\
- 32-bit Office 2013: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\
- 64-bit Office 2013: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\
- 64-bit Outlook 2013: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\
- Office 365 (2013 package): C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\office15\
Note:- If you do not have a POP3 email account then you will not be able to find the file.
7. Examine Outlook Indexing Group Policy Setting
This option is only available with Windows 10 Pro.
- In Start menu search bar type gpedit
- Navigate to User Configuration> Administrative Templates> Search
- Check Default excluded paths and Prevent indexing certain paths
- If you find that the policy state is set to non-configured, then reset it.
8. Reinstall Outlook
If you have tried all the methods and still are not able to fix the issue, then the last solution is to reinstall Outlook. This will certainly resolve the issue for you.
All the solutions given above will resolve Outlook not responding or working. We recommend you perform all the steps, step by step and you will be able to resolve the issue. Although before performing all steps, it is recommended to refresh the search index because it usually gets things moving again.
Let us know in the comment section below about your experience of solving this issue if you have encountered it.