Apple in late May, released iOS 14.6. Though it is not as significant as iOS 14.5, yet it came with new features like –
- AirTag trackers
- Apple Music Support
- Apple Podcast Subscription
- Apple Card Family
Alongside, offering these features battery drain issue is gaining attention and many users have been found reporting the same.
I’m using iOS 14.6 and I got my iPhone 12 the day at launch and it’s at 97% battery health after 8 months of ownership. Still love this phone and plan to keep it for another few years. Love your videos btw.
— Malik Jan (@MalikJa49975594) July 15, 2021
If you too are facing the same problem, you are at the right place. Here we will discuss how to fix battery drain issues on iOS 14.6.
However, before getting into details and learning about the issue, here is some information about iOS 14.6.
Devices compatible with iOS 14.6
- iPhone 6S and newer
- 7th generation iPod touch and all iOS 13 compatible devices.
Now that we know what iOS 14.6 has to offer let us know about the issue reported by users.
Also Read: Apple’s Upcoming iOS 14.5
What is the issue?
After updating to iOS 14.6 many users, especially those using iPhone 12 have reported facing battery drain issues. This issue is present during both normal usage and when the iPhone is left idle. With that said, it seems the culprit behind the battery drain issue is unknown.
But, some users suspect the Podcasts and Music apps (highlight of iOS 14.6) are the reason for abnormal battery drain. If you don’t agree, head to the battery usage page and see it yourself.
For this follow these steps.
- Head to Settings > Battery.
- Scroll down and look for BATTERY USAGE BY APP.
- Tap SHOW ACTIVITY, you will now be able to identify the culprit.
Though Apple has not acknowledged the issue nor has replied to the user comment. But it seems the Podcasts and music apps are to be blamed.
Also Read: How to Edit Your iOS 14 Home Screen
Workarounds to fix battery drain issues – iPhone 12 series iOS 14.6 update
1. Reinstall Podcasts App –
This workaround did not work for all, but it is worth trying.
- Touch and hold the Podcasts app icon.
- Tap Remove App.
- Next, tap Delete App.
- Tap Delete to confirm the action.
- If this doesn’t help and the battery percentage still goes down, you can reinstall the Podcasts App and use it. Now, move to the next fix.
Also Read: iOS 15 Vs iOS 14 – Is The Update Worth It?
2. Disable AirPlay –
When not using music, disabling AirPlay is suggested. Doing so will help conserve battery usage.
- Open Control Center (swipe down from the upper-right corner of the screen).
- Choose either Screen Mirroring or Music widget.
- Tap Stop AirPlay or Stop Mirroring.
3. Refresh Apps –
If both the fixes did not work, then nothing much has left to do. It seems the next update is the only way out.
However, if you want to try your luck, try refreshing background apps. To do so, follow these steps:
- Head to Settings.
- Tap General > tap Background App Refresh.
- In addition to this, we suggest disabling the background refresh option for apps that you don’t want to run in the background.
This should help with the battery drain issue that you are struggling with on iOS 14.6.
Furthermore, when the phone is in an idle state try enabling Low Power Mode.
1. Settings > Battery.
2. Toggle Low Power Mode and enable it.
That is all for now on how to fix the battery drain issue on iOS 14.6.
In addition to this, there are certain things that we would like to tell you about iOS 14.6.
- Older models like iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone SE2 are the most affected ones
- Also, when you upgrade to the new iOS version, several activities take place in the background, this sometimes causes battery issues. Therefore, before saying you are facing a battery issue ensure updates are properly installed.
- Each Autumn Apple releases major software updates and increment updates like iOS 14.6 and more keep on releasing throughout the year.
- iOS 15 the next major update was announced in WWDC 2021
We hope you find all this information helpful and can fix the battery drain issue. In case you tried something else that has worked for you, do share the same in the comments section. It will help us and the readers. In addition to this, if any of the above steps worked, share that too in the comment section.
We love hearing from you, do share your feedback.