Timely uninstallation of a few programs or apps on Mac is always required. Usually the apps that are either no longer in use, or have been corrupted or are space-hogging leading to your Mac’s slow performance should be removed. If you find any of these reasons on your Mac, look for the unsuitable app and remove it there and then.
Well, a lot of us mislead uninstalling with deleting an app. Some of the users think that dragging the app or program to the Trash means it has been removed from their device. If you think the same, let us tell you you’re going on the wrong path. Doing this leaves a lot of gigabytes of leftovers on your hard drive that later on creates one or the other problem.
To get rid of multiple troubles and hassles, it is important to know these proven ways to uninstall any application or program on your macOS. These ways ensure that everything related to that particular application is removed from your device. Let’s check them out further in this article.
Best Ways To Uninstall An Application On Mac
List of Contents
Method 1: Using A Dedicated Mac Uninstallation Software- Advanced Uninstall Manager
Click Here to download Advanced Uninstall Manager
The best and the most recommended way to uninstall apps on Mac along with all its contents and leftovers is through using a reliable tool like Advanced Uninstall Manager. This program ensures that the apps you remove from macOS are completely deleted, leaving no traces behind. Using the Mac uninstaller, one can easily identify and eliminate useless preferences panes, Internet/Spotlight plugins, downloads, and so on. Using Advanced Uninstall Manager is a pretty straightforward process, all you have to do is download and install the app on your Mac using the download link below and then follow the further steps shared below:
- Once downloaded, launch the Mac uninstaller.
- From the main dashboard, you can either run a comprehensive scan by clicking the Start Scan button or simply drag and drop the application you want to remove from your system completely, without leaving any residues behind.
- Once the apps are there on the tool, select the ones you wish to remove and click on the Delete.
Compatibility: OS X 10.11 or later, 64-bit processor.
That’s all! This way you can get rid of unwanted programs on your Mac that are taking up huge space on your system unnecessarily. It ensures that no leftovers are left behind!
Important: Advanced Uninstall Manager also lets you pin apps or programs to the Favourites section, to prevent them from getting removed accidentally after scanning. Not only this, it further helps in managing Startup Or Login Items. Once you head to the section, you’ll see the list of apps and programs which start automatically while booting your macOS. You can choose to Enable or Disable the apps at your convenience. This will surely help you to improve overall boot time!
Note: Enabling or disabling apps or programs from the login items section does not uninstall them from the system.
Method 2: Use Trash To Uninstall Apps From Mac
For both the latest and older versions of Mac, the process of manually uninstalling apps using trash remains almost the same. Here are the steps to follow to uninstall apps from Mac using Trash:
- Head to Finder and open Applications.
- Select the app you wish to Delete.
- Now press Command + Delete Key together.
- Open Trash and click on the Empty button at the top right corner of the screen.
That’s all! The app has been removed from your Mac. The only drawback of using this method is that it does uninstall apps but leaves a lot of leftovers. To remove these traces manually, you need to search the depths of the system files on your Mac.
Here are the common locations you can check manually to delete the app leftovers to completely uninstall it manually.
- Binary and dock icons are located in /Applications/
- Application support files are located in ~/Library/Application Support
- Support Caches can be found in /Library/Caches/ and ~/Library/Caches
- Plugins are located in ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/
- Library can be found in ~/Library/
- App preferences are located in ~/Library/Preferences/
- Crashes are found in ~/Library/Application Support/CrashReporter/
- App saved states are located in ~/Library/Saved Application State/
Check all these places for any leftovers but always ensure manually uninstalling apps is such a tedious job. Therefore, be wise and double sure yourself if you are deleting the right file or program or not.
Method 3: Uninstall Apps From Mac Using Launchpad
Last but not least, you can uninstall apps on Mac using the Launchpad. This method is the most easy and manual one. Here are the steps to follow:
- Click on the Launchpad in the Mac’s Dock.
- Navigate the app you wish to uninstall.
- Click and hold the app until it starts shaking.
- You’ll see a X in the upper left corner of the app icon. Click on it.
- Then, click on Delete on the confirmation box.
Simple, isn’t it! This will uninstall the app from your Mac but to remove it completely, you have to follow the instructions mentioned in the method 2 above.
Uninstalling Apps on Mac Made Easy!
So, this ends our article on how to uninstall apps on Mac. We strongly recommend using a native tool to uninstall apps so that you need not have to look for its leftovers all around the system and remove them one by one. Advanced Uninstall Manager completely uninstalls applications or programs from your device without leaving any traces behind.
Try these ways out and do share with us which one you felt the best and less troubling in the comments section below. We’d love to hear from you. Also, do not forget to follow our Social Media pages.
Keep reading Tweak Library for more such content.