Table of Contents
Security Cameras or Surveillance cameras are widely trusted as a very useful security measure. From large organizations to individuals, everyone out there is using these surveillance cameras to look out for their loved ones and as an extra layer of security.
However, do you wonder – Can Wired Security cameras be hacked? Can Wi-Fi Cameras be hacked? Are you safe because you have to spend a thousand bucks on your home surveillance system? Actually, both of these questions are different and need to be answered separately. Let’s look at them in detail.
Can Wi-Fi Cameras be Hacked?
Just a plain and blatant YES. Yes, a hacker can definitely hack CCTV or other cameras installed in your home or somewhere else. To back my case, recently a group of hackers gained access to 150,000 surveillance cameras inside a few large organizations including hospitals, companies, police departments, prisons and schools including the famous car maker Tesla. How they were able to do so is a bit complicated. A hacker trying to gain access to your Home Security Wi-Fi cameras is a bit different. The hacker tries to interrupt the network to which those devices are connected and can easily hack those cameras.
Also, once they are successful in interrupting the network and gaining access to Security Cameras, they can soon get access to all other smart devices connected to the same network.
Also Read: How To Know If Your Webcam Is Spying On You?
Can Wired Security Cameras be Hacked?
YES, the wired cameras too can be hacked. Though the process of doing so is a lot different but it isn’t impossible to do so. There have been a lot of cases where the Wired Cameras have been hacked in the past.
How to Know if your Camera is Hacked?
There are multiple indicators to suggest if your security camera has been hacked. We are going to list a few of those indicators below to help you determine if you have been a subject to the attack. So, let’s get going:
1. Weird Noises from Camera: If you find your camera making weird noises now and then, it has probably been hacked.
2. Irregular Path: If your camera is one of those Swinging One, you can easily detect if your camera has been hacked by checking if it is going for the full swing or it just some time freezes at one place or doesn’t complete its full swing.
3. Changed Settings: If you found settings and preferences of your camera changed automatically, it has most likely been hacked.
So, these are the few indicators that can easily signify that your camera has been hacked. Let’s move to the next section and see what we can do to prevent these attacks.
1. Don’t Be Basic: It all starts with network security. Don’t be basic in your Wi-Fi security and use a stronger password. Using a stronger password can immeasurably reduce the chances of threat.
2. Use separate Networks: If you have friends and colleagues over now and then and you have to give away the password of your Wi-Fi, it is a good idea to use a separate network for your Wi-Fi and a different one for your casual tasks.
3. Use all the security features that you can: There are various security apps and techniques available in the market. Don’t just be relaxed having installed a few security cameras. Actively take steps to keep them secure from attacks too.
Installing a VPN: Installing a VPN at your home network is one of the most unignorable and important steps in protecting your Security Cameras as well as the phones and laptops connected to it. A VPN employs various techniques to safeguard your network and data over the web like encrypting the data and masking the IP Address which in-turn helps safeguard all the devices connected to it.
Though there are various VPNs available in the market, I suggest using NordVPN. NordVPN is one of the most versatile and secure VPNs available in the market.
NordVPN is one of the most advanced and highly secure VPN service providers in the market today. It comes loaded with security features to help protect you against various threats.
- It can help Mask your IP Address by rerouting your data through various servers to provide anonymity and security.
- NordVPN employs the industry AES 256-Bit Encryption to encrypt the data that you send over the Internet so even if someone is available to hack through the network, the stolen data won’t be of any use to the hacker.
- The software provides Automatic Kill Switch that automatically drops all the working Internet Connection as soon as it detects any sudden drop in VPN network to further minimize the chances of any data breach.
To get better understanding of Nord VPN read the comparisons here:
- Best VPN Services – VPN Unlimited v/s NordVPN
- NordVPN vs ExpressVPN vs Systweak VPN – The Ultimate Comparison
So, this was all from our end on ‘Can wired security cameras be hacked, Can Wi-Fi cameras be hacked, and if hacked cameras can provide access to anything else?’. I hope you found the information helpful. If you have any query, do let us know in the comment section below. Keep visiting Tweak Library for more such Tech-Related Content.