Table of Contents
Often when a Windows system is used for a lot of data creation, editing, or shuffling, it starts giving you sluggish performance and you witness lag in system functionality. To maintain a file system on a Windows PC, we defrag Windows 10 or earlier versions. Best Defragment software reduces the degree of fragmentation in the file system. This process physically organizes the content of the mass storage device to store files into the smallest fragments.
Disk Defragmentation optimizes files in the most efficient manner and frees up a lot of disk space. A successful Disk Defrag can possibly improve the overall performance and speed up your computer to boost system performance. If you don’t know how to defrag Windows 10 / 8 / 7, this article is for you. Here in this article, we are going to round up the best disk Defragmentation software for Windows.
Top 3 Recommended Disk Defragmenter Software
List Of The Best Disk Defragmenter Software for Windows 10, 8, 7 in 2020
Here are our picks of Best Disk Defragmentation Software for Windows 10, 8, 7, and other versions to optimize and boost up your computer for as good as new feel!
1. Disk Speedup – By Systweak
Click Here to Download Best Driver Updater – Disk Speedup
Disk Speedup for Windows is a multi-utility software to defragment hard drives, wipe out junk, repair file system issues, and make your hard disk last longer. Its intuitive features made it rank as the best defrag software in our roundup. This software is compatible with Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista and XP operating systems in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
Disk Speedup is an innovative tool to evaluate your disk performance, clean up junk files, and defragment the fragmented disk space. It defrags your hard drive efficiently and smartly arranges small/ large and most frequently used files to speed up access times and enhance overall PC performance.
- Diagnose And Fix Hard Disk Health
- Most Simple and Easy to Use Interface
- Safe and Secure Defragmentation Process
- Built-in Disk Doctor To Fix Hard Disk File Issues
- Scheduler Defrags Individual Directories And Files Automatically
- Better Disk Performance Using Everyday Optimization
- Moves Directories At The Beginning Of The Disk
- Defragment full Hard Disk drives with large files
- Minimal Disk Space Required To Defrag
2. O&O Defrag Disk Defragment Windows
O&O Defrag is organized and easy to use top disk defrag software. With its user-friendly interface, it supports great features like optimizing a Hard Drive, checking a drive for errors, and viewing a list of all the fragmented files, etc. It supports scheduled defragging which can be customized to not run if fragmentation is not really needed.
Defragmentation can be set to run each time the screensaver gets active. It produces extremely detailed Hard Drive reports for a proper insight of your Hard Drive and suggests necessary actions. You can select from Quick Configuration Wizard to set up scheduling or immediately optimize a Hard Drive. Its intuitive features made it rank as one of the best disk defrag software in our roundup.
- Defragmentation Time Reduced by Up To 40%
- Runs on New Defragmentation Method (SOLID)
- Hardware-Friendly Optimization on Your Hard Disk And SSD
- O&O Diskstat – Shows Graphical Representation of Hard Drive
- Server Edition Requires Windows Server 2016, 2012 R2, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008
- O&O Diskcleaner – Removes Temporary and Unnecessary Files
- Identify the Most Fragmented Files Using Fragment Filter
- Supports Windows 10, Windows 8.1 And Windows 7
- User-Friendly – Ideal for Beginners and Professionals
- Time View to See Defragmentation Activity Results
- Even Faster System and Program Response Rate
3. iObit Smart Defrag
If you are looking for a stylish application to manage Disk Defragmenter on your hard disk, this one is again one of the Best Defragment software you can opt for. iObit Smart Defrag is one of the best defrag tools available for Windows OS as it has few new tricks to boost the process.
Smart Defrag is capable of excluding files and folders from a defrag / analysis, defrag just Windows Metro Apps, replace Windows Disk Defragmenter, and skip the defragging process for files that are over certain file sizes. iObit Smart Defrag also includes features to removes junk files from Windows and Internet Explorer. It also clears cache files from other parts of Windows which result in speeding up a defrag process.
- Stylish User Interface
- Excellent Support for SSD Drives
- Boot and Gaming Optimization Options
- Automatically Defrags on A Schedule Time Frame
- A Defrag Can Initiate While the Computer Is Booting Up
- Frequently Accessible Files Can Be Moved to Faster Location of The Drive
- Can Clean Up the Drive Before Initiating Defrag to Speed Up Process
- Lots of Options Available Post-Defrag, Like Shutdown, Reboot
- Exclusion of Drives Can Be Applied to The Defrag Process
- A Portable Version Is Also Available to Defrag
4. Amigabit Disk Defrag
Amigabit Disk Defrag is on 4th rank in our top 5 disk defragmenters. Every time you use your computer, junk files, and other temporary unnecessary files get stored on your Hard Drive. This accumulated data can slow down your computer.
Amigabit Disk Defrag tool allows you to automatically analyze, defrag computer and optimize disks for best performance. It is easy to use with its intuitive interface to identify and remove large files to free up valuable disk space on your system.
- Find Out Large Files on Hard Drive
- Specific Folder or File Exclusion Available
- Supports Boot-Time and Standard Defragmenting
- Can Automatically Turn Your Computer Off After Completion
- Single or Multiple Disk Defragmentation at A Time
- Reports Are Extensive and Easy to Understand
- Extremely Effective at Scanning HDDs
- Clean, Intuitive, Easy-To-Use Interface
5. Auslogics – Disk Defrag Pro
Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro is a very old and effective defragmentation software trusted by Microsoft and over 4 million users. It also comes with an option to erase junk files before initiating the defragmentation process. Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro can be downloaded as a portable program. The most effective function of Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro is that it can move important system files to a faster part of the Hard Drive to improve launch times and general system performance.
Like other Disk Defrag programs, Auslogics Disk Defrag is also able to run boot-time defrags. You also get an option to check a Hard Drive for errors with chkdsk, optimize a Hard Drive, and delete temporary system files before defragmenting. Its intuitive features made it rank as one of the best defrag software in our roundup.
- 3-PC License – 1 License Works For 3 Pcs
- Capable of Boot-Time or Offline Defragmentation
- Disk Cleanup & Checkup Options Before Defragging
- Adapts to Your Needs – Smart Defrag Algorithms and Multi-Scheduling Options
- Industry-Acknowledged Quality – Proven Safe and Effective in Multiple Tests
- Advanced Scheduling Options or Auto Defragmentation Mode
- Capable of Single File or Folder Defragmentation
- Resource Management and Performance Charts
- FREE Trial Available For 30 Days
6. Disk SpeedUp – Glarysoft Utilities
Disk SpeedUp is one of the free and best defrag programs that can be used to defrag not only entire Hard Drives but also individual files and folders. This product has old school looks however is effective to defrag the Hard Drive. It may not have all those advanced features however is effective for basic defragmentation.
You can also set it up to run automatic defragmentation when the system is in an idle state for a particular time frame. Disk SpeedUp has specific settings like disabling defrags if files have less than 10 MB fragments, have more than five fragments, and are larger than 100 MB. All these values can be customized as per your needs. Disk SpeedUp is compatible with Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP, and Windows Server 2003.
- Can Defrag When the Computer Is in Idle State
- Easy to Use and User-Friendly Disk Defragmentation
- Moves Infrequent Files to A Slower Part of The Drive
- Automatically Defrags on A Schedule Time Frame
- Use it Free of Cost without Pro Version
7. Defraggler – CCleaner
CCleaner Defraggler is one of the best defrag software from Piriform who created the world’s most used optimization software ‘CCleaner’. Defraggler allows you to perform disk defragmentation of files on your computer Hard Drive. It significantly improves the performance of your system.
This tool can defrag exactly what you want, and highlights empty blocks, unfragmented blocks, organizes empty disk space to further prevent fragmentation. You can also schedule to defrag Windows 10 or earlier versions for daily, weekly, or monthly intervals.
- Faster Computing – Experience a faster computer with a quick touch-up using Quick Defrag.
- Safe & Secure – Defraggler follows the same techniques as Windows to defrag the Hard Drive.
- Defrag Free Space – Defraggler organizes disk space to prevent further fragmentation.
- Full Customization – Schedule Defraggler to defrag your Hard Drive while you sleep.
- Set Defraggler to run defragmentation on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.
- Supports 37 major languages to cater worldwide.
8. Puran Defrag
PIOZR Also known as Puran Defrag is an innovative technology to make your computer operate faster than ever before. It is designed on a simple principle that Files most needed should be placed at the most accessible places. PIOZR places frequently used files on the outer edge at faster disk areas, which results in boosting the overall system speed.
- Free license for home users, Lifetime commercial standard license for $39.95, and complete site license for $149.95.
- Puran Utility is compatible with Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008/7/8/8.1/10 including 32/64-Bit versions.
- Low Priority Defrag – Enables you to use your computer without a lag as it uses limited resources.
- Defrags files like MFT, Registry, Pagefile, etc. as they can’t be defragged when Windows is running.
- Boot Time Defrag – Puran Defrag runs a very powerful Defrag that not only defrags the system files but also defrags the entire drive for maximum benefits.
- Offers Simple Automatic Defragmentation and Automatic Boot Time Defragmentation with the scheduler.
Also Know: 10 Best Antivirus for Windows
9. Toolwiz Smart Defrag
Toolwiz Smart Defrag is a very lightweight software and an easy-to-use application to scan the disk, remove fragments, and to improve the speed of file access. This tool can analyze all the drives connected to your system, be it internal or external Hard Drive or other storage drives.
It also displays a detailed analysis of the drive for clarity on disk usage. Using this application on a regular basis will surely improve the performance and speed of the PC, which is unavoidably affected by time.
- Hassle-free setup and user-friendly interface.
- Quick scan and defrag disk drives
- Compatible with 32-Bit and 64-Bit versions of Windows 8 and earlier versions.
- Archive files like ZIP and RAR files and automatically moves them to slower portions of the Hard Drive.
10. MyDefrag v4.3.1
MyDefrag is one of the oldest, trusted and the best disk defragmenter software which is compatible with Windows 7 and earlier versions. It also works with Windows 10 and Windows 8 however few features are not OS compatible. It is a good and lightweight software for Windows Server 2008 and 2003. One can run this disk defragmenter on more than one Hard Drives. You can schedule optimization during setup or at a later stage through Task Scheduler.
- Much faster, fully automatic, Free of cost, and easy to use the software.
- Better disk performance using everyday optimization.
- Reclaim MFT reserved space once the disk is full.
- Moves Directories at the beginning of the disk.
- Maintains free space for temporary files.
- Defragment full Hard Disk drives with large files.
- It can be used as a screen saver for disk defragmentation.
- Defrag individual directories and files automatically with Scheduler.
More About Disk Defragmentation
Why Defrag your Hard Drive?
A fragmented Hard Drive affects system performance and slows down the PC which can be improved by defragmentation software. By performing a successful Disk Defrag, one could potentially optimize Hard Drive, RAM, and speed up Windows 10 / 8 / 7 for best Operating System performance.
Once a Hard Drive is defragmented, the performance of the system drastically improves as it affects the speed in which tasks are carried out. Basic functionalities of any program like opening, closing, modifying, installing, and uninstalling also gets faster after you Defrag and optimize your PC.
How Does it Work?
The purpose of the Disk Defragmentation process is to streamline the fragmentation of your Hard Drive’s data. Whenever you save a file, it stores in a free location on your Hard Drive. Whenever you edit or make changes to the file, those changes may restrict the file from fitting back on the same physical location. This results in fragmenting the file and save it in several bits and pieces on different sectors of the Hard Drive. Best defrag software restructures the file back and organizes it on the Hard Drive and gains free disk space.
When to Defrag?
One should always perform a Disk Defragmentation process once the system is in an idle state. The defragmentation process may consume a lot of time depending on several factors such as the size of the Hard Drive, amount of data, system resources (RAM + Processor), and count of fragmented files on the Hard Drive.
The best time to perform a disk defrag is when you’re not using your PC. You can initiate the process at night or early in the morning when all the applications are closed.
Needed for SSD?
If you are using an SSD (Solid State Drive) on your computer, you should NOT defrag your Hard Drive. Luckily Windows 7, 8, and 10 are already loaded with this function to automatically disable disk defrag on such drives however for Windows Vista or older operating systems, one will need to disable scheduled disk defrags. Those who are using Windows XP with an SSD are recommended to upgrade to at least Windows 7 for swift performance.
How to Defrag Your Hard Drive?
Microsoft Windows operating system comes with a preloaded utility to defrag the Hard Drive. All you need to do is follow simple steps to initiate the disk defragmentation process.
For Windows 7/8/10
- Press Windows key + R to open Run box.
- Type in dfrgui (Windows XP: dfrg.msc) and click on ‘OK’.
- This command will load up Disk Defragmenter, from here click on one of your Drives to defrag and then click on ‘Defragment Disk’ / ‘Optimize’ / (Windows XP: ‘Defragment’).
You may also see the ‘Scheduled Optimization’ option and customize it as per your preferred time slot by clicking on the ‘Change Settings’ button.
This manual defragmentation process or auto-scheduled defragmentation process may prompt you with a bunch of options and needs your presence for hours to complete. Windows process is not so robust and user-friendly hence we may require a third-party tool to defrag the Hard Drive. These third-party disk defragmenter tools tend to work a little better and faster, comes with additional features like SMART Defrag, Registry Defrag, Boot-time Defrag, and Boot Speed Optimization.
As we have reviewed a few of the best disk defragmentation software, now you have the option to choose the best defrag software for windows 10 from the list above. If you are a professional and can initiate the process with Windows utilities and follow the instructions, you may skip purchasing a third-party utility. For a hassle-free process with extensive additional options, it is recommended to have any of the above-listed software on the system.
We are sure you would be able to boost up system performance and enhance the efficiency of the system. Do let us know which one is your best pick and how was your experience with the same. If you consider any other product to be added to this roundup, Do let us know and we’ll review the same. If you have any inputs, please value add with your suggestions in the comments section below.
For more such tips, tricks, and tech-related updates subscribe to Tweak Library and if you are more into tech-related videos do watch and subscribe to our YouTube channel.