Table of Contents
Corrupted or outdated device drivers are the ones that restrict your productivity and are required to be reinstalled or updated timely. Today, in this article we will be discussing the corrupted keyboard drivers and the ways to update them on Windows 10. Even a single outdated driver can hamper the performance of your system and therefore it is an immediate requirement to make your keyboard operable and for this you can either use Windows 10 built in utility- Device Manager or using a smart and advanced driver updater tool like Smart Driver Care.
Note: Driver updates for Windows 10, including that of network adaptors, monitors, printers, display, and video cards etc. are automatically installed with Windows update. There are instances when you think that the drivers are outdated but your system already has the most recent drivers. If you still feel the need to update or reinstall drivers manually, you can do it using the Device Manager.
Also Read: Smart Driver Care: Best driver updater tool
Top Ways To Update Keyboard Drivers Windows 10 (2022)
We’ve listed five ways to update keyboard drivers on Windows 10 quickly. Try any of the below-mentioned workarounds at your convenience.
List of Contents
1. Run Windows Update
If you don’t want to install any third-party driver updater software to update the latest and most compatible keyboard driver versions automatically, try using the Microsoft built-in tool – Windows Update to get the job done. The dedicated built-in utility is responsible for keeping most of your devices’ drivers up-to-date silently.
Follow the instructions below to learn how Windows Update works to get the latest drivers for Windows 10 PC:
STEP 1 = Hit the Start button and click on the Settings option (It looks like the gear-like icon).
STEP 2 = From the Settings menu, you need to navigate to the Updates & Security module from the Settings menu.
STEP 3 = Now, click on the “Check for Updates” button.
As soon as the steps above are completed, you can view and install the keyboard and other devices’ drivers for your PC. If the built-in utility detects any missing drivers, then new drivers will be installed automatically after the update. You will also notice a significant performance boost on your computer/laptop.
2. Manually Update Keyboard Drivers On Windows 10
If you manually wish to update or reinstall keyboard drivers on Windows 10, you have to follow a step by step process wherein you have to start with opening the Run window. Follow these steps for how to update keyboard driver easily.
- Open Run Window by pressing Win+R key together.
- Type in msc to open Device Manager or directly search for Device Manager from the search box located below.
- Now locate Keyboards and expand the menu.
- Right click on the keyboard menu that opens and choose to Uninstall Device.
- On the next screen, you’ll see a warning message. Click on OK to confirm.
- Once the uninstallation finishes, restart your PC so that Keyboard drivers are automatically installed.
- To update driver, choose Update Driver.
- Then, on the next screen choose to Search automatically for updated driver software.
- That’s all! Wait for the process to finish and your driver’s will be back to working condition.
3. Smart Driver Care: A Robust Driver Updater For Windows
If you wish to auto-update all your outdated and corrupted drivers at once, Smart Driver Care is the right choice to make. For Windows users, this tool comes with multiple beneficial utilities and makes it easier to update all corrupted and outdated drivers in a go.
Let’s proceed further to know how to use this wonderful tool.
- Firstly, download and install Smart Driver Care on your Windows 10 PC using the download link below.
- Next, it is advised to first Backup your old drivers before you scan or update for the newer ones. It is recommended because you can rollback the drivers if things don’t go as planned.
- Now, head to the Scan tab and click on Scan Now.
- Wait for the scan to complete. You’ll then find the list of drivers that needs to be updated. You can either choose to Update All at once or select one by one and click Update Driver.
That’s all! Your PC is now updated with the latest drivers. Now, check again if your keyboard is working fine. Using Smart Driver Care ensures that your PC is not left with any outdated or corrupted drivers, creating issues and hassles.
Other way round, you can try reinstalling your keyboard drivers.
4. Reinstall Keyboard Drivers
To reinstall keyboard drivers on Windows 10, you first have to uninstall them. Reinstall is required when the drivers are improperly installed. Here’s how to do this:
- On your PC, head to Device Manager, either using the search box or through the Run window.
Note: You can also press Windows and R to launch Run Box and type devmgmt.msc in the run dialog box and press Enter.
- On the Device Manager window, head to the Keyboards option and expand using the menu.
- Right click on the available keyboard option and choose Uninstall Device.
- You’ll get to see a confirmation screen. Click on OK to confirm.
- You have uninstalled the keyboard driver. Now restart your computer to automatically reinstall the keyboard drivers.
Easy, isn’t it?
5. Download & Update Keyboard Drivers From Manufacturer’s Site driver
If you are not able to find the dedicated driver version for your keyboard, we recommend you to head towards the official website of your keyboard’s manufacturer. For example, I am looking for Dell’s USB Smartcard Keyboard driver, so I headed towards Dell’s Drivers Download Page and followed the below-stated instructions:
Step 1 = Head towards the Drivers & Downloads page of Dell.
Step 2 = Here, you need to enter the driver or keyboard name for which you want to download the latest version.
Step 3 = Next, you need to select the Operating System (Windows XP to Windows 10), Download Type (All or Driver), Category (All or Mouse, Keyboard & Input Devices).
Step 4 = Now hit the Download button to update your keyboard with the latest driver.
Further, you just need to follow the on-screen instructions that appear to complete the driver installation process.
Frequently Asked Questions (2022)
What are keyboard drivers?
A keyboard driver is dedicated software that allows smooth communication between your computer/laptop and keyboard. Ensure you keep the associated device drivers up-to-date to ensure smooth functioning and hassle-free performance.
How to download a keyboard driver for Windows 10?
Various methods exist to download and update keyboard drivers for Windows PC:
- Run Windows Update
- Manually Update Keyboard Drivers On Windows 10
- Smart Driver Care: A Robust Driver Updater For Windows
- Reinstall Keyboard Drivers
- Download & Update Keyboard Drivers From Manufacturer’s Site driver
How do I fix my keyboard driver for Windows 10?
Consider updating your drivers with your keyboard's latest and most compatible versions. The best way to install and update keyboard drivers is using reliable software like Smart Driver Care. Besides this, you can take the help of Device Manager (the in-built utility) to get the job done.
How Do I Fix Keyboard Driver Problems?
If you are facing issues with your keyboard driver, you can follow the steps shared below:
- Reinstall your keyboard driver.
- Run hardware troubleshooter
- Use proprietary software
- Use a third-party driver updater software to install compatible versions
We have listed here the best three methods of how to update keyboard drivers and get them back in their working condition again. Try them out and let us know which one you found the best. Our personal favorite is Smart Driver Care, tell us yours in the comments below. For more queries or suggestions, reach out to us through our social media channels.