Table of Contents
If you are an avid gamer and love gaming on the Xbox, you know the importance of controllers. And, in the world of controllers, Xbox One Controller is known for its immersive gaming experience. It is also one of the best PC controllers since Microsoft has made its bumpers feel much better and added Bluetooth connectivity ever since the launch of Xbox One.
All sounds hunky-dory, yet, there are times when you might need to update and download the Xbox One controller driver, especially when your Windows 10 refuses to do it by itself. In this blog, we are going to discuss some of the easiest ways you can download and install the Xbox One Controller on Windows 10.
Ways To Download and Update Xbox One Controller on Windows PC
Many Windows 8 and Windows 7 users have reported that they could not enjoy Xbox One Controller on their Windows PC since they were unable to fetch the driver updates for the same. Apart from using the below-mentioned methods to download and update Xbox One driver on your Windows, you should also pay heed to whether you have a 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 7 or 8.
Use Device Manager to Update Xbox One Controller Windows 10 Driver
Updating a driver for a peripheral via Windows’ Device Manager is always recommended. So, in case you are using Windows 10, here is how you can update your Xbox One Controller driver –
1. Press Windows + R to open the Run dialog box
2. Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter
3. Expand the Xbox Peripherals dropdown
4. Right-click on Microsoft Xbox One Controller
5. Click on Update Driver Software
6. Your computer will now search for the most appropriate version of the Xbox One Controller driver for your Windows 10 system and install it
Update Xbox One Driver Via Windows 10 Update
This is the step that Microsoft itself recommends – You can update and download the Xbox One Controller driver by running a Windows update. Post the update, the latest drivers will be automatically picked up. Here are the steps to do the same –
1. Press Windows + I and open the Settings
2. Click on Update & Security
3. Head to Windows Update
4. Click on Check for Updates and if there are any click on Install Now
After the update is finished, your computer will check if there is an update available for your Xbox One Controller and if it is available, it will download it.
Use A Driver Updater Software
Manual steps of updating drivers can at times be cumbersome. So, one of the wisest choices you can make to download and update the Xbox one controller driver is to use a third-party driver updater software.
Smart Driver Care, for instance, is one of the best driver updater tools. It scans your computer for outdated, incompatible, and missing drivers, and updates them.
How To Use Smart Driver Care To Update Xbox One Controller Driver
1. Download, install and run Smart Driver Care
2. Click on Scan now under Scan Drivers and wait for the process to complete.
3. From the list of drivers locate Xbox One Controller Driver for Windows 10
4. Click on the Update Driver button next to it and wait for the update to download.
Other Features To Look Out For –
- Schedule driver scans at your desired date, day, and time
- Backup drives before updating them
- Restore blacked up drivers in case something goes wrong
- Exclude selected drivers from scan
Update Xbox One Controller Using Xbox Accessories App
One of the easiest ways to update your Xbox One Controller with the latest software is to update it via the Xbox Accessories app. You can get it from here. Here are few things to keep in mind before you update your Xbox One Controller on Windows PC and follow the steps mentioned below –
- The app is available for Windows 10 only
- If your controller doesn’t have an inbuilt 3.5 mm audio port, you need to update it using a USB connection and your controller must have the Windows 10 TH2 Update
- You won’t be able to update the controller over Bluetooth
Now let’s get down to the steps on how you can update your Xbox controller –
1. Download and install the Xbox accessories app from the link mentioned above
2. Connect Xbox Wireless Controller with the help of USB cable or Xbox Wireless adaptor for Windows (If you haven’t updated to Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, you’ll be prompted to do so)
3. Once connected, you’ll get the message Update Required
Do let us know in the comments section if you were able to download and update the Xbox One Controller driver on your Windows 10 PC using the methods mentioned above. And, if there is something that we missed, do give us a shoutout. For more such content keep reading Tweak Library.
- Xbox Cloud Gaming Is Now Available And Here’s How You Can Get It >
- Here Are The Ways to Factory Reset An Xbox One >
- How To Control Your Xbox One With Google Assistant in Google Home App >
- How To Fix Xbox One Controller, Not Working >
- Xbox One S vs Xbox One X: Which One is the Best Xbox Gaming Station? >
- Everything you need to know about Xbox One: Privacy settings, Online Security and More >