Table of Contents
Past few years have seen a significant increase in the number of browser extension users and as a consequence browser extensions are now at risk. Hackers always target things that have a huge customer base as they are easy to exploit and many devices can be exploited. Browser extensions are used as malware attack vector, a serious risk for both Windows and Mac machines.
Many security programs fail to identify these threats, and aren’t designed to detect them, thus, making it a serious issue at which we need to pay attention.
Recently Page Timer Search chrome extension has been detected to be malicious. In this article we will tell you how to remove it.
What is Page Timer Search Extension?
It is a Google Chrome extension with a description of “How long have I been on this page?”.
Page Timer Search extension hijacks searches completed using popular browsers. The user is re-directed to Yahoo, allowing the attacker to track user searches and make him earn from the advertisements shown on Yahoo search results.
How Does Extension Gets Installed?
Presently the malicious extension is being promoted via websites that prompts user to install an extension before leaving the visited page. To get rid of such messages user closes the browser but this doesn’t help.
The extension gets installed and redirects searches to Yahoo. If you are facing the same issue and want to get rid of this malicious extension please follow the step by step instructions explained in this article.
Note: Using these steps you can not only get rid of this extension, but can also remove other unwanted extensions and programs from your PC.
How to Remove the Page Timer Search and Other Malicious Extension?
To remove the malicious extension, use the comprehensive guide below:
For Mac User
- Install Systweak Anti-Malware by clicking here.
- Now click on Startup Items tab and click on Start Scan button to run a scan.
- Once the scan is finished you will see a list with all the malicious items listed.
- From here delete the infected extensions.
For Windows User
- Install Systweak Advanced System Protector by clicking here.
- Now click on Protection tab and then click on Browser Cleaner.
- The program will start running a scan for the browser addons.
Note: You need to close all the browsers to run the scan.
4. Now select the extension you wish to delete.
After, you have used the program you will have to reset Chrome to remove all the traces of Page Timer Search Extension.
To do so follow the steps below:
Note: Once you reset the browser settings, all cookies, temporary files will be erased.
- Open Google Chrome and click on three dots at the top right corner to open settings.
- Now, scroll to the bottom of the page to look for Advanced option.
- Click on it to see the Reset option.
4. Here click on the Reset option. You will receive a warning message that says your settings will be restored to default.
5.Click on RESET button to proceed.
Chrome will now erase all your personal data, browsing history, and disable all installed extensions. Your bookmarks, will remain intact and still be accessible.
This will ensure that all the traces of the malicious extension are removed.
Whenever you notice anything abnormal you should run a security program that has features to perform a scan on browser extension too. If you are a Mac user you can use Systweak Anti-Malware and for Windows user Systweak Advanced System Protector.