Table of Contents
There are several potentially unwanted programs and browser hijackers which can alter your browser settings such as the homepage, the tabs you have opened, or even worse, change your default search engine. In this blog, we are going to discuss one such browser hijacker called safesear.ch. Although the developers claim that they have developed a unique search engine that can help filter out malicious websites. However, many users have claimed that they were redirected to safesear.ch without their consent. In this blog, we’ll have a look at possible ways to remove it –
How Do You Know That You Have Been Attacked By A Browser Hijacker –
Not just safesear.ch, in case a browser hijacker is residing in your browser or computer, it will bring along symptoms like the ones mentioned below –
- Browser’s home page is changed
- Every time a user tries to go to the desired search engine, he or she will be redirected to the search engine that the browser hijacker wants
- User is redirected to predetermined websites
- Browser settings are altered
- Unwanted ads are generated now and then
Ways To Get Rid of safesear.ch
1. Remove All Untrusted/ Suspicious Programs From The System
Has the safesear.ch browser hijacker occurred after you had recently installed a program? Then, there you have it, maybe it is bundled along with the software you downloaded. You can defend yourself by removing all the recently installed applications one by one and then check if safesear.ch is gone or not. Here are the steps for the same –
1. In the Windows search bar, type Control
2. Under Programs click on Uninstall a program
3. Remove any suspicious programs by highlighting the program and then clicking on the Uninstall button on the top
4. You can remove one program and then open your browser and check if safesear.ch has gone or not
2. Use A Third Party Installer To Get Rid of Software Files Completely
If safesear.ch is deep-rooted, the chances are it might haven’t left your computer even after you have uninstalled the applications it was associated with. You can use a third-party uninstaller that will help you not just remove the applications but even the various associated files.
IObit Uninstaller 10 Pro is one of the best uninstaller software for Windows 10. It uninstalls programs completely, removes any malicious plug-ins, and even cleans any leftovers automatically. It even helps you get rid of any advertising or malicious plug-ins and thereby, ensures safe web surfing.
Download IObit Uninstaller 10 Pro
3. Keep Windows 10 And Browsers Updated
Browser Hijackers look for one opportunity for getting into your PC. But, if you keep your browser and Windows 10 updated, a browser hijacker won’t have any chance to get into it. The reason being, you would have all the latest security features, something that a hijacker can’t bypass. So, to update Windows, here are the steps –
1. Press Windows + I to open Settings
2. Click on Update & Security
3. From the left-hand menu click on Windows Update
4. Click on Check for updates
If there are any updates available, go ahead and click on the update
Assuming you use Chrome, here are the steps to update Chrome –
1. Click on the three vertical dots at the top right corner of your screen
2. Click on help and then About Google Chrome
Chrome will check if there are any updates available. If yes, those updates will be fetched automatically.
4. Modify Browser Properties
Here’s one of the ways you can find out if you are under the attack of a Sear.ch browser hijacker. You can check your browser’s properties, especially Targets, and check for http://safesear.ch/… after C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe. Now, here’s how you can get to it and remove it –
1. Let’s say, you use Chrome as your browser
2. Right-click on the Chrome icon and then choose Properties
3. Shift all your focus to the target field
4. check for http://safesear.ch/… after C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
5. Remove http://safesear.ch/…
6. Click on Apply and then OK
5. Get Rid of Any Recently Installed Extensions
You can head to your extensions and check if you can find an item by the name SafeSearch. In case it’s there, immediately click on the bin icon to get rid of it. Here are the steps for the same –
1. Click on the three vertical dots at the top right corner of the screen
2. Click on More Tools
3. Click on Extensions
4. Locate SafeSearch and then click on the bin icon
6. How Dangerous Is A Browser Hijacker?
Firstly, a browser hijacker is annoying. You wouldn’t want to be taken to a search engine or website without your consent (and that too every single time). A probable browser hijacker can inject tracking codes and track user behavior, steal credentials such as passwords, addresses, user IDs, etc. A cybercriminal can also use a browser hijacker as a medium to infiltrate your computer with malware. This is why it is recommended to have a robust antivirus by your side.
How Can An Antivirus Save Me From Malware?
Consider an example of Systweak Antivirus, which is one of the best antiviruses for Windows 10. Here are some of its features that ensure that no malware enters your computer –
- Real-time protection constantly tracks your computer for various security risks, viruses, and other threats. It keeps running in the background without interrupting your computer’s functionality
- Knowing the fact that a browser hijacker can enter via an unknown file, Systweak Antivirus’ Exploit Protection identifies any such threats when enabled.
- Quick, Deep and Custom scan modes make sure that all critical areas are scanned for any impending threats.
Click Here To Download Systweak Antivirus
It’s always better to be safe than sorry. If you arm yourself with measures to counter supposed browser hijackers like safesear.ch or have weapons such as IObit uninstaller or Systweak Antivirus that can wipe off malicious applications, you can breathe a sigh of relief. Found the blog helpful? Do share it with your friends, family, and colleagues. You can also find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, Flipboard, and Tumblr.