Table of Contents
Over the next 20 days, I have to make 200 business calls. I might even have to mail them certain details and presentations even while I am traveling. I have a neatly sorted database of these 200 contacts in an Excel workbook. The databases include their names, departments, company names, email IDs, and mobile numbers. Now I want to import this excel at two places – one on my Android smartphone, so that I can make calls or mail them some details on the go and the second on my MS Outlook. I am clueless as to how I can convert this Excel to vCard.
Excel and Google Sheets are great places where you can create and organize databases. This is the reason why many users use these platforms to keep a track of their contacts. But, what if the need arises to replicate the same contacts on your iPhone, Android, MS Outlook, or the likes where Excel format is not accepted? Would you manually enter all details on your smartphone by yourself? Needn’t do that. That’s where the VCF format comes to your aid.
Also Read: How to Convert A PDF to Excel
What is a VCF Format?
A vCard or VCF (Virtual Contact File) is a standard file format that is used for storing the contact details of many people. It contains fields like name, title, address, email address, phone number, etc. You can even store several other custom fields as well as images and other media types.
The point of converting an Excel to VCF is to readily transfer the selected fields into your Android, iPhone, MS Outlook, or any other platform where Excel is not supported. But, the question is how can you convert an Excel workbook or Google Spreadsheet to vCard or.VCF format.
Also Read: How To Convert MBOX to PST
Easy Ways To Convert Excel to VCF
Method No 1: Convert Excel To vCard Using Contacts
We shall be breaking down the process of converting the Excel workbook to vCard into three parts. First, we’ll create a workbook with contact fields and convert it into CSV. Then, in the second part, we’ll import the CSV into Contacts, and then lastly, we will export these Contacts to VCF.
(i) Create Workbook in Excel and Convert to CSV
- Open the Excel file that you want to convert to CSV format
- Click on the Office icon at the top left corner of the screen
- Click on Save As > Other formats
- Browse the location where you want to save the file
- Click on the Save as type dropdown and choose CSV (Comma delimited) option
- Click on Save
(ii) Import CSV file Into Contacts
- In the Windows search bar, type Contacts and click on Open from the right-hand side
- Select Users available and click on Import
- Select CSV file as your chosen format
- All the files will now be exported
(iii) Export Contacts To A VCF File
- Select all CSV files you had created earlier and click on the Export tab at the top
- Select vCards (folder of .vcf files)
- Click the Export button at the bottom
- Choose a location and click on OK
Method No 2: Changing Google Sheets To vCards
Quite many of us use Google Spreadsheets or Google Sheets as an alternative to Microsoft Excel. Do let us know how many of you prefer Google Spreadsheets or Google Sheets over Microsoft Excel in the comments section and why? Coming straight to the point – how can you convert a Google Spreadsheet to VCF? The steps are more or less the same. Let’s have a look –
- Create a Google Sheet with contact fields such as name, company name, department, mobile no, address, etc
- Go to File > Download > Select Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet)
- Head to Google Contacts
- Click on Import Contacts
- Click on Select file
- Select the CSV file
Method No 3: Use a Dedicated Excel To vCard Converter
We don’t deny the fact that the above ways are simple but, there is one other thing that we cannot deny and that is the above methods are cumbersome.
How about converting XLS Contacts to VCF with fewer clicks and in a much faster manner. For that, you can use a very lightweight utility like SysTools Excel to vCard Converter (which takes hardly 3 MB of your storage). It is one of the best tools that is tested on more than 40000 contacts where it easily converts excel contacts to.VCF format in no time.
What’s even better? It has a Field Mapping Option where you can easily map your Excel or Spreadsheet columns with the fields of vCard. Another great aspect of SysTools Excel to vCard converter is that it supports several languages.
Where Can You Access VCF Files That You Have Converted Using SysTools Excel To vCard Converter?
The SysTools Excel to vCard Converter is available for both Windows and Mac operating systems from where you can convert an Excel or Spreadsheet to vCard (.VCF) format. And once you have performed the conversion, these are the places where you can export your vCard files –
- Smartphones: Android, iOS, etc
- Mail Clients: MS Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, etc
- Web Email Clients: Gmail, Hotmail, AOL Mail, etc
- Popular Messengers: WhatsApp, Skype, etc
Download SysTools Excel To vCard Converter
How To Use The Tool?
The process of converting a Google Spreadsheet or Excel File to VCF, using this tool is very simple. We have listed the steps below –
- Download, install and run SysTools Excel to vCard Converter
- Click on Add Excel File and preview the contacts in your Excel workbook
- Select all fields that have vCard Contacts and Map
- Now, choose the desired vCard version
- Click on Export
Converting Excel to vCard is a simple (if not a straightforward) process. Do let us know in the comments section what do you think. If you want to quickly convert your Excel contact database to vCard or have to do that often as a part of your job, we’d suggest that you use a utility like SysTools Excel to vCard Converter. For more such content, keep reading Tweak Library.