Table of Contents
Google Docs, as we all know, is a part of G-suite and gives us a cloud platform to create, share and edit our documents. While using Google Docs we need to know a lot of its features such as choosing a template, creating or removing Header, voice typing and many others. This app looks normal but it can do a lot and helps you to collaborate better, write faster, and produce the best results with its awesome features.
Today, we are considering Google Docs’ feature that is most-talked about but used by a very few. Yes, in this article we will tell you how to add or remove a Header in Google Docs.
A Header in Google Docs or any other document contains a lot of information. It might vary from one document to another but it contains the most useful information such as a title, date, name and page number on all the pages.
Read Here: Best Word Processing Software 2020
Creating a Header on Google Docs is as easy as double-clicking on the topmost part of the document or going to Insert tab > Header & Footer > Header. Similarly, removing a Header on Google Docs is like clicking on the Header part and deleting the text and clicking out of the Header space. Let us learn step wise the process to create and remove Header in Google Docs.
How to Add or Remove Header In Google Docs:
How to Add A Header In Google Docs?
Headers in any document contain vital information and these can be the same or different on every page. Adding a text to the Header is like adding text to the main document. Do you know the importance of Header in a doc? A Header can be different for one page and same for the rest i.e. it can be customized based on your document requirements. For instance, if you are writing a book, you can use a Header to add page numbers in Google Docs.
Similarly, you can add Footer to your document. It might include your book name for instance or if you want you can insert page numbers in the Footer section as well. Here’s how to add Header in Google Docs:
You can quickly add Header to Google Docs using the browser-based app. Follow the steps below for more clear instructions to add a Header from a web browser.
- Open a document in Google Docs and scroll to the top of the document.
- Now go to Insert tab, select Header & Footer, and then click Header.
- Also you can use the keyboard shortcut i..e Ctrl+Alt+O Ctrl+Alt+H to locate the Header part of the document.
Next, you’ll see an option with a checkbox saying ‘Different First Page’. Check mark this option to mention different Headers in different pages. Also you can use different Headers on odd and even pages. Then, select from the Options drop-down menu.
- Enter the text in Header and use the Formatting Tools to change alignment, size, font, and text color.
- Now, click anywhere in the document to exit the Header.
- If you have checked the option ‘Different First Page’, then you have to again select the Header area on the next page to enter the Header text for the remaining pages of the document.
How To Add Header In Google Docs On Android And iOS?
Adding a Header to your document on Android or iOS apps is not available with many options. In a mobile app, set a Header for the first page and then set a Header for the other pages as well. Here are the steps you need to follow to add a Header in Google Docs.
- On your Android or iOS device, open Google Docs app.
- Once it displays the first page of the document, tap the Edit icon at the bottom right (the pencil icon).
- Then, tap the three-dots icon at the top-right to open the More menu.
- Toggle on the Print-Layout
- Tap the Header area of the page and enter the Header text. This Header text will appear on the first page only.
- To add Header text on the other pages, you need to add separately after scrolling down to the second page of the Google Docs.
- You can now use the tools in the Formatting Toolbar to edit the font, text size, text color and alignment.
- Toggle off the Print Layout, after you’re satisfied with the Header text.
That’s it! This is how you can add a Header in your document on Google Docs. Let us proceed ahead to learn how to remove the Header in Google Docs.
Also Read: Best Electronic Signature Apps
How To Remove Header In Google Docs?
Removing a Header from your document is as simple as clicking the mouse. Yes, it just needs a command and you can simply remove a Header i.e. delete the text into it. When you want to remove a Header from Google Docs mobile app, you’ll manually need to delete the text.
While using Google Docs on the web, you need to go to the Header section, locate Options tab, from the drop down menu choose Remove Header. Alternatively, you can go to the Format tab, Headers & Footers, and choose Remove Header.
If on any document, there is a different first page Header or odd or even Headers, each of them has to be deleted individually.
Note: Grammarly is one of the best apps to take care of your grammar in all your important documents. Check its review here.
How To Remove Header In Google Docs On Android And iOS?
Just like adding a Header in Google Docs, there is no automatic way to remove a Header in Google Docs while using Android and iOS mobile apps. You can also use Delete or Backspace key, or select the text and use the Cut option on mobile devices. Follow the steps listed here to delete a Header in Google Docs:
- Open Docs app and a document.
- On the top-right, click on the three-dots icon for More menu options.
- Toggle on the Print-Layout
- Tap the Header area of the page you want to delete.
- Select the Header text and tap Cut.
- Exit the Header by clicking anywhere on the document.
That’s all folks! Using Google Docs or similar apps have now been a part of our daily routine especially during this time of quarantine and social distancing. These apps are quite useful during work from home as you can keep your document ready-to-go and accessible on your smartphones. You can create, edit and share them anywhere and anytime.
Do you use Google Docs to create and manage your documents on the go? Let us know in the comments section below.