Table of Contents
The notion of a paperless workplace is environmentally benign, and it ensures that critical information is stored efficiently. Whether for office work or personal documents, most of us prefer to keep our docs online. Owing to technological advancements, we can now scan a document, save it in digital format, & share it on any device. You can scan, edit, and convert in PDF format using these scanning software. Also, using them, you can review photos and documents. This makes looking for the best Windows scanner software essential. Fortunately, you’ve arrived at the correct place. Here are the ten best free scanning software for high-quality scanning of your documents and photographs.
Let’s get started.
Top 10 Scanner Software For Windows 10
1. Adobe Acrobat DC
Version: 22.001.20117 (Win), 22.001.20112 (Mac) Next update, Apr 12, 2022
File Size: 307 MB
Compatible with Windows and Mac
Adobe is a well-known name for document creation, storage, and management, making Adobe Acrobat perfect for novices and advanced users. The user-friendly scanning tool has a high-end feature set and extra capabilities. It collects signatures and signs papers more quickly, allowing you to spend more time doing what you do best.
- Text indexing capability to search within documents easily.
- Allows you to merge two or even more PDF files.
- Create Forms and add Signatures
- Advanced collaboration capabilities to work effectively on shared PDF documents.
- Makes reviewing easier
- Convert photos from your smartphone to PDF.
- Allows you to add a digital signature
- The free version is limited.
2. Soda PDF 12
File Size: 16.7 MB
Compatible With Windows Only
Home Plan: $48/year or $ 10/month
Business Plan: $120 / year or $20 / month
Premium Plan : $84 / year/user or $15 / month
It takes time to retype an outdated document. You can save time by converting scanned documents and photos into searchable PDF files with Soda PDF’s OCR engine. Also, this OCR tool recognizes the text and pictures automatically. It allows you to select parts of your PDF to scan manually. This PDF editor is among the finest, especially when the quality-price ratio is considered. Like the other apps listed thus far, Soda PDF allows you to modify PDFs effortlessly. The software is available in two versions: Standard and Pro. With the Pro edition, you may convert scanned PDF files into editable and searchable documents.
- Can upload document and whiteboard images to Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, and OneDrive
- Allows you to save them as PDFs or send them by email.
- Images may be saved in various formats, including.docx,.pdf and.ppt
- Both versions allow you to edit and convert PDF files seamlessly.
- The OCR feature is quite useful.
- It allows you to secure and sign PDF documents.
- Offers PDF optimization/compression options
- The trial version requires registration.
File Size: 35 MB
Compatible with Windows Only
The following free scanning program for Windows on our list is ScanSpeeder. It is a handy document & photo scanning application that handles the job quickly and accurately. This picture scanning freeware converts your valuable images to digital format. Using a printer/scanner, anybody can scan many images simultaneously, making scanning old photos considerably faster, simpler, and less expensive.
- Automatically crop and straighten scanned photos into separate image files
- Scan directly from the photo album page so you don’t rip your photos
- Import pre-scanned images containing multiple photos with 1-click cycling
- Supports Advanced batch editing options and toolset
- Scan slides & negatives as well. (Pro version)
- Scans several documents and photos at the same time.
- Auto-detection rate is high.
- Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Only the premium version of the program supports the 16-bit true grey scanning function.
4. ABBYY Fine Reader
File size: 562 MB
Compatible With Windows, Mac, iOS, Android
Price: $117/ Year
ABBYY Fine Reader is good if you need a professional document & photo scanning tool with great accuracy. It provides you with a personalized digital workspace where you can quickly create, edit, & collaborate on documents and photos. FineReader PDF, which includes ABBYY’s newest AI-based OCR technology, makes it simpler to digitize, retrieve, edit, secure, share, and collaborate on various documents in the same workflow. Now, information professionals may concentrate on their skills rather than administrative responsibilities.
- Works on AI-based OCR technology
- Multi-purpose tool to create, collaborate, edit, retrieve and edit documents
- Multiple formats available
- Allow you to quickly alter or re-frame a sentence or paragraph in your papers.
- It comes with the digital signature function
- Create fillable forms with this tool.
- Compare and contrast documents in various formats.
- High document precision.
- Small enterprises may find it prohibitively expensive.
File Size: 40.5 MB
Compatible with Windows
Price: Freeware for One License
PaperScan is undoubtedly one of the best scanner software for Windows, allowing you to digitize documents with ease. It translates papers into digital formats with high-end precision, from documents to images and videos. PaperScan can import any image/PDF file, arrange it in any possible single-page/multipage configuration, perform a wide range of image adjustments/enhancements, annotate it with sticky notes, rubber stamps, highlighter, or arrows, and save it in a variety of file formats including JPEG, TIFF, PDF, and JBIG2.
- Limited batch TWAIN & WIA scanning/import (10 pages)
- Save as single page PDF/A, TIFF, JPEG, JPEG 2000, PNG, JBIG2, WEBP.
- Post Image Processing: color adjustment, color space conversion, effects, filters, crop, etc.
- 100+ formats supported
- More than 30 languages are supported.
- Possesses editing ability after scanning.
- Compatibility between platforms.
- User-friendly and cost-effective.
- The free version does not allow batch editing & scanning.
File Size: 12 MB
Compatible With Windows and Mac
VueScan is a multi-functional utility tool for scanning documents, pictures, and presentations. The program works quickly whether you want to scan a single document or a whole batch. Before choosing this free scanner tool for Windows, consider the following benefits and downsides. You download VueScan and use it with your scanner to scan documents, photographs, film, and slides.
- Scan with Flatbed and Automatic Document Feeders (ADF)
- Comes with an option to Scan to PDF (Single and Multipage)
- Has Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
- Comes with compatibility of about 6500 Scanners
- Multiple photographs and papers are scanned.
- Colour recognition is automatic.
- Supports All common document and picture formats
- It comes with Photoshop compatibility
- The user interface requires some work.
7. Kofax OmniPage
File Size: 512 MB
Compatible With Windows Only
OmniPage is a strong OCR program that includes several advanced capabilities. With this handy scanner for Windows, you can effortlessly convert documents, pictures, & PDFs into a digital version. OmniPage solutions are ideal for a single user, small business, or corporation, whether you’re converting a few paper documents or millions.
- With cloud integration, the tool can effortlessly share the files across platforms.
- Delivers built-in workflows or lets you create your own
- Full support for Microsoft Office, Corel WordPerfect, HTML, and more
- Allows you to compare and modify files side by side.
- It supports over 120 languages
- Accurate and effective
- Multiple file types are supported for batch editing.
- Becomes unresponsive during batch editing.
8. Readiris 22
File Size: 626 MB
Compatible With Windows and Mac
Readiris is a clever, distinctive, and potent document & photo scanner for Windows. You work with an Employment agreement, word documents, JPG files, Excel spreadsheets, blueprints, Tender projects, Meeting minutes, receipts, or even daily invoices. You never seem to find a good compromise for dealing with the various file format types. Then Readiris PDF is just what you’ve been looking for!
- Create, Combine, comment, review, and merge PDFs
- It has a feature-rich OCR suite to scan and convert any document.
- It comes with features to annotate and stamp PDFs
- Edit, annotate, & collaborate on your documents with just a few clicks
- Supports both Windows & macOS are supported.
- Supports a large number of file types.
- Even text included in photos can be edited.
- Cannot use the free version indefinitely.
File Size: 80.9 MB
Compatible With Windows only
CamScanner makes it simple to scan, edit, and transfer documents and photos across numerous devices. You can use the CamScanner utility to scan high-resolution images and documents. This scanning software for Windows allows you to export data in multiple formats and save data on the cloud. OCR is a technology that extracts text from photos for further modification and sharing.
- Can edit and merge PDFs
- Send scanned papers to customers and synchronize data between devices
- It comes with OCR text recognition
- Sharpen and brighten scanned photos when converted to PDF
- Images are auto-detected and cropped.
- OCR capabilities for extracting text from pictures.
- Handwriting annotation is possible.
- Available for mobile devices such as Android and iOS.
- Sync documents and photos across several devices.
- When it comes to security, it’s not as polished or dependable.
File Size:1.7 GB
Compatible With Windows only
Workstation: $ 500
Concurrent: $ 1,250
SimpleIndex is another easy-to-use document scanning tool for Windows. This tool offers integrated ISIS, OCR, TWAIN, pricing, scanning time, JPEG support, and other essential ones.
- Automated check to identify missing documents
- Barcode reader
- Desktop scanning and OCR software
- Command-line interface for easy scanning integration
- Reliable scanning tool for Windows
- Electronic imprinting
- OMR to mark checkboxes
- Easy to use
- Document management solution
- Expensive for small businesses
These are some of the best scanning software for Windows to choose from. You can try any software mentioned in the list to fulfill your scanning needs. However, our recommendation is Adobe Acrobat DC, which comes with feature-rich OCR and it allows you to edit and make changes to PDF docs seamlessly.
Do let us know about your experience in the comment section below.
FAQs: Scanner Software For Windows 10
What is scanning software?
Scanning software is used for digitizing, generating, editing, and assessing pictures using optical and document scanners or other imaging devices. Document scanners are devices that scan and transform two-dimensional (2D) items into digital pictures.
What is the best free scanning software for Windows 10?
There is a plethora of scanning software on the market, each with its set of features. On the Windows platform, you may scan documents or photographs with any options listed above. You can't go wrong with Adobe Acrobat DC, even if you seek a specific recommendation. It also has a free trial period, so you can get your hands on it and learn more about it before purchasing the premium version.
How do I scan a PDF file in Windows 10?
There are various tools available to scan PDF files in Windows 10. In this blog, we have discussed various tools for scanning. You can choose any one of them at your convenience.