Table of Contents
Your MacBook is a spectacular device and you have probably given Mac a heads-up over its counterpart, Windows but still, it is far from being impeccable. It certainly has its share of issues to which time and again bug users. Let’s say you are comfortable working on your Mac or enjoying a movie when suddenly colorful distorted horizontal and vertical lines start to appear. now, there can be several reasons why this issue has surfaced but the fact is that you need to act fast so that the issue can be resolved quickly. And, that’s what this blog is for. Here are ways you can shun screen flickering on your Mac.
|Reasons Why Screen Flickering On Mac Takes Place|
Solutions To Fix MacBook Screen Flickering
Here are some ways you can stop screen flickering on Mac. The effectiveness of these steps may differ from system to system –
1. Restart Mac
The easiest way to resolve MacBook screen flickering is to perform a simple restart which should help you rectify most issues on Mac. A system restart helps fix almost 80% of issues occurring on mac.
1. Go to the Apple Menu and click on Restart
2. Alternatively, you can shut down your Mac and wait for a few minutes before restarting it
2. Change Display Resolution
Although not an exact solution, yet, there are users who have reported that by changing the screen resolution they were able to stop screen flickering on Mac. So, you can also give the following steps a try –
1. Click on the Apple menu and then select System Preferences
2. Select Displays and then click on Display
3. Change the resolution for once and again switch to the original resolution
3. Update Your Mac to the latest macOS
Mac screen flickering is an issue that can arise if you are not running the latest operating system. Here is how you can update your macOS. We also recommend that you backup your data to iCloud or any third-party storage.
1. Go to System Preferences
2. Open Software Update
3. Click on update
Check if the screen flickering issue persists on your Mac or if it has gone.
4. Reset NVRAM or PRAM
A bug in the memory may have caused a screen flickering issue on Mac. So, resetting NVRAM or PRAM can help fix this issue. Here are the steps to do the same.
1. First, turn off your Mac
2. Press and hold simultaneously the following combo of keys on your Mac keyboard – Option + ⌘ + P + R for approximately 20 seconds. Do this until the Apple logo has completely disappeared
3. When your Mac restarts your PRAM and NVRAM will be reset
5. Try Switching off The Automatic Graphics Switching
One of the probable you can get rid of MacBook screen flickering is by disabling the Automatic Graphics Switching function. Follow the below instructions to do the same –
Note: When you disable the Automatic Graphics Switching, your Mac will use its dedicated graphics and more power will be consumed. As a result, your Mac battery will drain at a much faster pace.
1. Open system preferences
2. Head to Energy Saver
3. Look for Automatic graphics switching and uncheck it
6. Optimize Mac Using A Dedicated Optimizer
While tweaking few things here and there can help resolve the issue. Yet, there are lot many other things which might go unnoticed, and for that, here are several great third-party Mac optimizers. One such optimizer being CleanMyMac X. Let’s have a look at a few of its modules and see how it can help you fix the screen flickering on your Mac.
Download CleanMyMac X
1. Clear Cache
The unnecessary cache can impair Mac’s performance and CleanMyMac X helps you clear it in no time at all.
1. Click on System Junk from the left-hand side
2. In few minutes, you will be able to see the junk that you need to clear
3. Confirm the junk that you want to clear
2. Run Scripts To Get Rid Of Glitches
If you are not able to fix the screen flickering issues on your Mac via the normal route, time to take an advance route. CleanMyMac X lets you run maintenance scripts that can deftly fix various inconsistencies and glitches. And, the best part, you don’t have to be an expert to do that –
1. Open the application
2. Click on Maintenance
3. From the right-hand side click on Run Maintenance Scripts
4. Click on Run
Now restart your Mac and check if the screen flickering issue is resolved or not.
So, this is how you can stop screen flickering on Mac. If the above fixes have been of help, do give this blog a thumbs up and for more such content keep reading Tweak Library. You can also find us on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Flipboard, Pinterest, and Tumblr.