Table of Contents
With 300 million active users, Skype is a popular video conferencing, voice calls, and text messaging app. Yet most users when using it on Windows 10 face Skype audio not working issue. This annoying problem decreases productivity and makes hearing audio impossible. If you are facing the same issue, and are looking for a solution, you are at the right place.
Here are the best ways to fix Skype not detecting microphone issues on Windows 10.
Common Reasons for Skype not detecting the microphone.
- Outdated or corrupt device driver
- Damaged microphone
- Incompatible or non-working headphones.
Alongside these, the Skype microphone not working can be caused due to loose headphone connection and other reasons. Here we will list down workable solutions to resolve Skype not detecting microphone.
Best Ways to Fix Skype Microphone not working.
List of Contents
Solution 1 – Microphone should be set to On for Skype (Windows 10)
Being a Windows user the first thing you need to do to fix the Skype microphone not working on Windows 10 is to check the Microphone’s settings. It should be set to On for Skype under Privacy settings.
To do so, follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + I to open settings Window
- Click Privacy
- Click Microphone from the left pane > in the right pane under Choose which Microsoft Store apps access your microphone look for Skype and move the slider from left to right.
- Doing so will enable the microphone.
- Now login to Skype & check if Skype not detecting the microphone problem has been fixed or not.
Solution 2 – Update sound card driver
Usually, due to outdated, corrupt, or missing sound card drivers, the audio not working problem occurs with Skype on Windows 10. Hence, to fix this problem we need to update the sound card driver.
This can be done both manually and automatically. The first one is time-consuming, needs patience and technical expertise while the latter is easy and does not involve risk.
To manually update the sound driver and fix the Skype microphone not working, you need to visit the manufacturer’s website and download the right driver. If this sounds too much work and you are not confident downloading drivers manually, we suggest using Advanced Driver Updater.
Advanced Driver Updater is an automatic way to scan the system for outdated drivers and download the correct driver. Using this best driver updater for Windows, you can get the right driver update for all outdated, missing, and corrupt drivers.
How to update the driver automatically – Windows 10
To use Advanced Driver Updater, follow the steps below:
Click Here to Download Advanced Driver Updater
- Download and install Advanced Driver Updater
- Launch the driver updating tool
- Click Start Scan Now to scan the system for outdated drivers.
- Wait for the scan to finish.
- You will now see a list of outdated drivers. Look for the sound driver and click Update driver, next to it.
Note: If you are using the free version to update each outdated driver you will need to click on the Update driver button next to each one. However, if you are using the Pro version by clicking Update All you can update all drivers in a go.
6. After updating the driver restart the system and then try to run Skype to see if the mic is not working and the issue is fixed or not.
Solution 3 – Adjust audio settings
Note: If the microphone is not connected you will not see the below settings.
- Launch Skype and sign in to your account.
- Click the three dots > Settings
- Click Audio & Video from the left pane and then disable “Automatically adjust microphone settings,” by moving the slider.
- Now see if the microphone works with Skype or not.
Solution 4 – Restart Windows audio service
If none of the steps have worked so far, try restarting Windows audio service. This will help fix the Skype microphone not working on Windows 10. To learn how to do that, follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + R to open the Run window
- Type services.msc > Ok
- Look for Windows Audio service. Select it > right-click > Restart
- Exit the window and restart the system.
- Now try to run Skype the Skype audio not working on Windows 10 should now be fixed.
Fixed – Skype microphone not working.
Hopefully, using the above steps you can resolve Skype not detecting the microphone. To keep drivers updated and to avoid encountering problems due to outdated drivers, we suggest keeping them updated. We understand doing so manually is not easy, hence suggest using Advanced Driver Updater the best driver updating utility. It will help update outdated, corrupt, and missing drivers on your Windows machine.
We hope you will give it a try. Please share your feedback in the comments section and let me know which method worked for you. In case you tried using some other method and it worked, share that too with us. We’d love to hear from you.