Removing Pop-up Ads and Browser Hijacker on Mac OS
- Do you still believe that Mac systems are super-secure and immune to viruses? If so, I hate to break the bubble- It’s all a Myth. Mac security is at risk with the emergence of new variants. Nothing is virus proof anymore. Adware, browser hijackers and potentially unwanted programs (PUP’s) are a serious threat to Macs. They are explicitly designed to make money by generating web traffic and increase sales leads for untrusted sites. Plus, they show advertisements and sponsored links within the web browser. That’s why you need to delete pop-ads on Mac.
Additionally, few free downloads silently install adware which are bundled with the PUP to harm your Mac. If your Mac starts behaving differently it’s an indication that your Mac is infected. We strongly recommend to remove pop-up ads on Mac.
The most common symptoms that you will experience are:
- You will see advertising banners inserted within the web pages you visit.
- Web page texts turns randomly into hyperlinks.
- You may see pop ups asking you to download an update or other security software.
- Unwanted adware programs get installed in the background without user’s knowledge that you should not install software that you don’t trust.
Also Read: A Guide to Stay Protected from Mac Viruses
How to Get Rid Of Browser Hijacker And Pop-up Ads
Using the following steps, you can successfully get rid of pop-up ads on mac.
Note:- Ensure you follow the steps in correct order.
STEP 1: Uninstall OS X application or third-party apps.
The first step of “how to remove pop-up ads on Mac” begins with removing third party applications. By default, OS X stores apps at 2 different location: Application Folder and Hard Drive in Library folder.
To start with, visit application folder. You can use Finder to locate it. Now, select the unknown apps and drag it to the Trash.
Next make sure trash is emptied to eliminate all the traces of the threat.
To open Library folder, click on the Hard Drive icon visible on the desktop, go to library folder use finder and search for folder and files named after recently uninstalled applications.
Also, look for them in folders named application support and preferences.
Next, you need to remove user specific supporting files from user library. To do so, open finder, click on users and select the user name. Click on the library folder (this one is different than the one explained earlier). Look for folders named against already uninstalled programs and remove them. Check the following folders to look for obsolete data from already uninstalled apps:
Alternatively, to uninstall Mac App store apps:
Click and hold any of the app icon, once you do so the apps downloaded from App store will start to wiggle. Click on ‘X’ to uninstall them.
This way you will be able to remove pop-up ads on Mac.
The most common malicious apps are: MacSaver, MacVX, MacCaptain, MacPriceCut, SaveOnMac, Mac Global Deals or MacDeals, MacSter, MacXcoupon, PalMall, MacShop, MacSmart, News Ticker Remover, Shopper Helper Pro, Photo Zoom, Best YouTube Downloader and many more.
STEP 2: Remove Browser Hijacker On Mac
Now, we are going to get rid of browser hijacker on your Mac.
- Open Safari menu and select “Preferences “.
- Now click on “Extensions” tab and search for unknown plugin, when found click on the “Uninstall” button.
- Now click on the “General” tab and make sure “Default Search Engine is set to Google and “Home Page” is set to “google.com”.
STEP 3: Scan and Clean system using Antivirus program
Lastly, run a deep scan using an updated Mac antivirus program. Hence, you can ensure that all threats are eliminated from your system.
Using these simple steps, your system will surely get rid of browser hijacker and pop-up ads on Mac. It’s time to stop thinking that your data is safe as you use Mac. Browser Hijacker and pop up ads don’t spare any OS. We suggest you to be cautious while downloading a software or visiting any web page.