Table of Contents
Concerned about your privacy and want to delete Telegram accounts permanently? Owing to the increase in data breaches, social media addicts have started giving second thoughts about whether they should be connected to the Social Media sites.
Not only do people are looking for ways to deactivate their Telegram accounts, they are also finding ways to delete their Snapchat accounts permanently and other social media accounts.
While all the famous social media platforms vouch about their end-to-end encryption and security, it is up to us how we want our data to be distributed amongst others. Having said this, it gets important to delete Telegram accounts permanently or at least reset passwords of social media platforms regularly.
This article educates users about how to deactivate Telegram accounts. However, before deleting your Telegram account permanently you should be aware of the below-mentioned points.
- Deactivation of Telegram accounts cannot be reversed.
- Once you have deleted your Telegram account, your contact list, messages etc, will be wiped off completely.
- Reinstallation cannot restore any deleted data.
- If you think you want your chats, you should restore them before deactivating your Telegram account To do so,
1. Open the desktop version of the app and navigate to Settings.
2. Now locate Export Telegram Data > Export Chat History.
3. Once done, click on View your Telegram data offline.
Different Ways To Delete Telegram Account Permanently:
There are different ways using which you can deactivate Telegram accounts, let’s discuss them one by one.
1. Self-Destruction Method:
Telegram provides a method in which you can remove the data that has been unused or have been dormant over a period of time. For users who haven’t used a Telegram application for a long time, can simply opt for the method and deactivate their Telegram account.
One of the plus points of the self-destruction method is that users can restore the account back in future.
Follow the steps below to use the self-destruction method to delete your Telegram account:
- Open Telegram account and then navigate to the Settings.
- From the Settings page, click on Privacy and Security.
- From the Privacy and Security option, look for the option Delete my account if away for.
- You will be presented with 4 options namely 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and 1 year.
- Specify the time span and once you remain inactive on your Telegram account for the desired time span your Telegram account will be deleted permanently.
2. Remove Authorization of Telegram Account:
The first method listed the steps to deactivate Telegram accounts that have been dormant for a specific time period. This method, in addition, lists down the steps to delete Telegram accounts permanently. The steps can be performed on Android, iOS devices as well as Desktop.
- Visit the Deactivation Page of Telegram app on your smartphones or Desktop.
- The Deactivation page will ask you to enter your mobile number registered with the app. Key in the mobile number to receive an OTP.
- After you have received the OTP, enter it in the Confirmation code field on the Delete Account or manage Apps.
- Post this click on Sign In.
- On the next page you will be asked to enter the reason behind deleting your Telegram account permanently. Write down the reason and click on Done.
- Post this you will receive a pop-up to confirm that you want to deactivate Telegram account permanently. Click on Yes, delete my account.
Controversies Related to Telegram App Regarding Data Leak:
Telegram app has been in highlights number of times due to its poor data securities and many data breaches have been reported over time. Some of them are quoted below:
- Year 2017 reported a malware attack targeted for Windows computers. This Malware attack was done using Telegram.
- Reports says Telegram app reveals meta data and hence is dangerous.
- Facility of deleting chats by any group member is again a sign of poor control over the app.
Having said that, it is evident that though Social media platforms a good way to stay connected, it is necessary that you keep your data secure. With so many data breaches in the past, I personally will want to delete my Telegram account. Read the complete article to know how to deactivate Telegram account and be secure.