Table of Contents
As per the latest swing, playing video games online is admired by all age groups. And it would be wrong to not embrace Discord – the popular mode of conveying messages and scores while playing online games.
Yet gamers when updating Discord on their Windows 10 are facing issues, which is hampering their gaming experience. If you are also among the army of these gamers, facing Discord Update Failed issue, here are some tips that can be useful in resolving Failed Discord Update.
Generally, the issue occurs due to a failed internet connection or corrupt Discord files, however, there could other reasons as well. We have listed some of the common reasons due with Discord Update Failed error occurs:
Causes of Discord Update Failures
1. No Internet Connectivity
2. Windows Firewall
3. Third-party Antivirus
4. Not Running Discord as Administrator
5. Corrupt Files
6. Discord Service is Offline
Today in this post, we will learn about these causes and how to fix Discord update failed error. Let’s get started.
7 Best Way to Fix Discord Update Failed Loop Windows 10
1. Internet connectivity
The most common reason for Discord update failures is internet connectivity. When you don’t have an active internet connection, you will catch sight of the update failed message on the PC screen while starting Discord. Likewise, when the connection drops you will face issues with Discord update. Hence, to fix Discord Failed to Update problem make sure you have a good speed active internet connection when using Discord.
2. Disable Windows Defender (Temporarily)
Windows Defender—the built-in security tool that detects malicious files and applications that can conflict with the system’s functioning uses advanced techniques. This sometimes interferes with the working of Discord and its updates. Hence, to fix failed Discord update we suggest disabling Windows Firewall.
Follow the steps below to learn how to do it:
Turning Windows Firewall off for a little while will allow you to install Discord updates without any interference.
1. Press Windows + I to open Settings.
2. Go to Update & Security.
3. Click Windows Security.
4. Click on Virus & threat protection
5. Click Manage settings.
6. Now, disable real-time protection by sliding the button to the left.
7. Close the Settings Windows.
Now try to update Discord. If this works, you know the reason. If this doesn’t help, move to the next step.
3. Active Antivirus on system
Just like the enabled Windows firewall, an active antivirus also barricades the smooth working of Discord. Disable your antivirus temporarily and check if Discord updates and starts smoothly. If it does, there’s a clash with your antivirus, and you’ll need to switch to a different one.
If you are looking for a recommendation, you can give Systweak Antivirus a try.
Click Here To Download Systweak Antivirus
4. Run Discord as Administrator.
Usually, we install the software with default settings and run it. But, in the case of Discord giving some extra permissions won’t harm. This will help fix the update failed issue.
To run Discord as an administrator, follow the steps below:
2. Select Run as administrator from the right pane.
3. Now, try running Discord and updating it, you should not face any problem.
5. Device-specific Problem
Discord update running in loop or failed to update on Windows can be device-specific. Therefore, to check the issue we suggest running it on a different mobile or computer. If it does work normally, you have the fix for Discord update failed on Windows 10.
6. Change the name of Discord update file.
When the Discord file is corrupt, a new copy is downloaded to fix the problem on its own. However, if this not happening automatically, we will have to change the name of Discord update file. To do so, follow the steps below:
1. Press the Windows key + R.
2. Type %localappdata% and press Enter.
3. Open the Discord folder.
4. Edit Update.exe to UpdateX.exe.
5. Thereafter launch Discord and see if it updates.
If this too doesn’t work, let’s move to the last resort.
7. Reinstall Discord
1. Press CTRL + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
2. Select Discord from the list of processes > End Task.
3. Press Windows + I > Apps.
4. Navigate to Discord > select it > hit Uninstall.
5. Confirm the action and wait for the uninstallation process, to finish.
6. Thereafter press, Windows + R
7. Type %appdata% and hit Enter.
8. Locate the Discord folder > right-click > Delete.
9. Again, press Windows key + R.
10. This time type %localappdata% > OK
11. Locate the Discord folder > right-click > Delete.
12. After this, download and install fresh copy Discord.
Now try to run Discord and update it, you should no longer face the Discord Update Failed error.
Discord Update Failed is not a big of an error that cannot be fixed. By following the step-by-step guide explained above you can fix the error message. Most importantly, you don’t have to apply all the fixes. You can run through the steps and once you find the best fix to get rid of Discord Update running in a loop, you can stop there. Hope using the steps you were able to fix the error. If you have any suggestions or feedback, please do share in the comments section.