Best Wi-Fi Routers of 2019: Better Streaming, Gaming and Browsing Experience
Internet connectivity has become our lifeline nowadays and we always require full bars to meet any and every day-to-day digital requirement. Whatever we do, we do it online, regardless of whether we play, work, do business, socialize or learn, we need strong internet to be connected with the world.
Before we upgrade our Internet service, first we should consider grabbing these best wireless routers. Even the fastest Internet service in the world can’t do much good if they are hooked up to a poor wireless router. Wi-Fi routers for long range are required to equalize the utmost speed provided the ISP. We are going to help you find the best wireless router as per your need.
How We Chose the Best Wireless Routers of 2019?
We have tested the best routers on almost seven tests to measure their capabilities and shortlist the best for you. Here are a few things we considered.
Wireless Radio Bands
Generally, wireless routers are framed to offer at least two radio bands, a 2.4GHz band, and a 5GHz band. The 2.4GHz band is widely used as most of the devices are designed to work on the same frequency. It’s in use since ages hence it operates at a lower frequency. At the same time, the 5GHz band offers fat pipe and high-speed access that you can never get with 2.4GHz band.
Wireless Ethernet networks on 802.11 protocols for data transmission. The most widely used Wi-Fi protocol, 802.11, 802.11ac, allows you to connect on maximum data rates of up to 5,400Mbps and is compatible with both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands. The technology it utilizes is Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) technology and downstream Multi-User MIMO (MU-MIMO) technology to deliver distributed bandwidth among multiple devices and multiple users simultaneously.
We generally see 802.11ac wireless routers labeled with AC1200, AC1750, AC3200, and so on. This is not just a random number but a code that designates the maximum speed of the router. For example, a router capable of reaching a maximum link rate of 450Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 1,300Mbps on the 5GHz band is labeled as an AC1750 router.
A tri-band AC3200 router can reach up to 600Mbps over the 2.4GHz band and 1,300Mbps over each of the two 5GHz bands, and an AC5400 router can speed up to 1Gbps on the 2.4GHz band and 2.1Gbps on each of the two 5GHz bands.
The latest Wi-Fi protocol, 802.11ax, (Wi-Fi 6) or so-called High Efficiency (HE) Wireless, is a progression of 802.11ac technology that claims to have the maximum speed of up to 4.8Gbps.
Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiple Access (OFDMA) and Target Wake Time (TWT) expands total throughput by allotting Wi-Fi channels into sub-channels and allows up to 30 users to connect and share the channel simultaneously.
Wireless Router Price
Wireless router’s price ranges between $24 to $1000 depending on the features, make and model. In this article, we have covered best Wi-Fi routers and best Wi-Fi boosters, which fits within our budget regardless you are looking for the best router for a large home, best Wi-Fi router for long-range, a secure wireless router or a high-efficiency wireless router for gaming and broad networks.
Top 6 Wireless Routers of 2019
1. Best Overall: Linksys WRT AC3200 Dual-Band Tri-Stream Fast Wireless Wi-Fi Router
If you are looking for a simple, easy to set-up and a ‘setup and forget’ router, this is a perfect choice.
- The fastest wireless router provides WiFi coverage for your home (works with existing modem)
- Open source firmware offers advanced customization; Certified Operating Systems: MacOS (10.X or higher), Windows 7, Windows 8.1 (Works with Windows 10)
- Tri-Stream 160 technology doubles bandwidth from 80 MHz to 160 MHz
- Enjoy 4K HD streaming, gaming and more in high quality without buffering
- Dual-band WiFi speeds up to 2.6 Gbps (2.4 GHz / 600 Mbps) + (5 GHz / 2600 Mbps). Operating Temperature: 32 to 104 F (0 to 40 C)
- MU MIMO (Multi-User Multiple Input Multiple Output) provides WiFi to multiple devices at once, at the same high speed
2. Best in Budget for Small Homes: NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router (R6700) – AC1750
Though routers start from $24 however those lack features and don’t cover all the devices with proper bands. The router which we have chosen has covered all seven tests and gives you a Wireless speed of up to 1750Mbps. You need not stick next to the wireless router. It offers you up to 1500 Sq Ft coverage & can connect almost 25 devices at a time. It offers 4 x 1G Ethernet and 1 x 3.0 USB ports and is secured with Armor Security.
- FAST WiFi PERFORMANCE: Get up to 1500 square feet wireless coverage with AC1750 speed (Dual-band up to 450 + 1300 Mbps).
- RECOMMENDED FOR UP TO 25 DEVICES: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices.
- WIRED ETHERNET PORTS: Plugin computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- LOADED WITH ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Designed with a 1GHz dual-core processor, 3 amplified antennas, Beamforming+, Dynamic QoS, Smart Connect, and more.
- USB CONNECTIONS: Share a storage drive or printer with any connected device or create personal cloud storage to access from anywhere, using the 1 x 3.0 USB port.
- CIRCLE APP PARENTAL CONTROLS: Pause device internet access, view site history usage, and filter websites for free. Set online time limits, schedule device internet access, and more for $4.99/month (1st month free trial).
- ADVANCED CYBER THREAT PROTECTION: NETGEAR Armor (powered by Bitdefender) is network-wide antivirus, antimalware, fraud/phishing/ransomware security on an unlimited number of devices for a 30-day free trial.
- SAFE & SECURE: Supports WPA2 wireless security protocols. Includes Guest WiFi access, DoS, Firewall, VPN, and more.
3. Best for Gaming: ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 – Tri-Band 10 Gigabit WiFi Router
ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 Tri-Band 10 Gigabit wireless router is one of the best wireless routers of 2019 for unlimited gaming and streaming experience. This router comes with AI-protection and a Lifetime Security by Trend Micro. ASUS ROG Rapture wireless router is also compatible with AI-mesh for Mesh WIFI System which makes it Next-Gen Wi-Fi 6, 802.11Ax wireless router.
- Triple level game acceleration accelerates game traffic with device, game packet and game server prioritization.
- Cutting edge hardware offers the best performance 1.8GHz Quad-Core CPU and 2.5 G gaming port for ultimate performance.
- Your own gaming mesh network Compatible with ASUS Ai-Mesh Wi-Fi system for seamless whole-home coverage.
- ASUS WRT enables support for open, advanced monitoring and control which includes device bandwidth utilization as well as device or usage prioritization.
- ASUS AI-Protection security to neutralize internet threats before they hit your network.
- Nextgen ax Wi-Fi is backward compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi devices and Supports current Wi-Fi devices. Operating Frequency: 2.4GHz, 5GHz 1, 5GHz 2.
4. Best Technology: NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi 6 Router (RAX120)
This spacecraft shaped Netgear Nighthawk AX12 High-Efficiency wireless router is for the most up to date tech you can find in a router. It can give you up to 6Gbps speed and coverage for large to very large homes. There are 4 x 1G, 1 x 2.5/5G Ethernet Ports, and 2 x 3.0 USB available for better connectivity on the device.
- FAST WiFi 6 PERFORMANCE: Get wireless coverage for large to very large homes with AX6000 speed (Dual-band up to 1.2 + 4.8 Gbps).
- 12 SIMULTANEOUS STREAMS: Provides more capacity so more devices can use WiFi at the same time.
- WIRED ETHERNET PORTS: Plugin computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1G and 1 x 2.5/5G Ethernet ports.
- LOADED WITH ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Designed with a 64bit 2.2GHz quad-core processor, 8 amplified antennas, Beamforming+, MU MIMO, Smart Connect, OFDMA, Amazon Alexa Voice Controls, and more.
- USB CONNECTIONS: Share a storage drive and printer with any connected device and create personal cloud storage to access from anywhere, using the 2 x 3.0 USB ports.
- SAFE & SECURE: Supports WPA2/WPA3 wireless security protocols. Includes Guest WiFi access, DoS, Firewall, VPN, and more.
5. Best for Larger Homes: Linksys Velop Tri-Band Home Mesh WiFi System
Linksys Velop Tri-Band Home Mesh WiFi System is the best wireless product we have reviewed and listed for large homes. This is not just a wireless router but also comprises WiFi Extenders to provide extended through coverage at Home. It’s built with Mesh Network (3-pack) which interconnects and ranges end to end connectivity. Linksys Velop Tri-Band Home Mesh is an affordable router for those who can afford large homes and connects a lot of devices.
- Tri-band WiFi router replacement provides whole-home mesh coverage.
- Ideal for large, 5+ bedroom multi-story homes (up to 6,000 sq.ft.).
- Provides fast, reliable WiFi coverage for 4K streaming, gaming and more.
- Connects to your existing modem from any ISP (replaces router).
- Simple setup through the easy to use Linksys App. Processor: 716 MHz Quad-Core.
- Tri band connectivity speeds (867 + 867 + 400 Mbps per node).
6. Bonus: Wireless Router Extenders: NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Mesh WiFi System
- Netgear Orbi Whole Home Mesh WiFi System is another wireless router cum extender which has got 2 satellite extenders with high speed up to 2.2 Gbps even over 6,000 Sq. Ft. of range. AC2200 (RBK23) is popular and the best-selling products of Netgear because of its intuitive features.
- Creates a Mesh WiFi network that blankets your home in super-fast, seamless WiFi, room to room, wall to wall, floor to floor. Replaces your old router, works with your modem and internet service provider.
- Eliminates WiFi dead zones and buffering up to 6,000 square feet of consistent coverage at high speeds of up to 2.2 Gbps.
- Comes with Netgear Armor built-in antivirus and data theft protection for all of your smartphones and computers. Protects your connected home from internet threats. Included trial covers unlimited devices.
- Maintains speed even as more devices use your WiFi at the same time. The difference is tri-band technology while others use dual-band technology.
- Simple setup with the Orbi app, create a guest network, access parental controls, and run speed tests right from the App.
- 2 Ethernet ports on both router and satellites provide a wired connection to your Smart TV and more, Four (4) high-performance antennas with high powered ampliﬁers.
- Smart parental controls let you filter content, manage screen time, and monitor usage on any connected device, anytime, anywhere.
We have covered almost all types of routers. Though there are hundreds of wireless routers available however we hope our research and analysis can save you time and help you choose the best wireless routers available for 2019. We hope this compilation of the best Wi-Fi router and best wifi booster fit in your requirements and give you the best in class performance.
If this article turned out to be helpful to you, please like and share this with your colleagues. For more such tips, tricks and tech-related updates visit Tweak Library and if you are more into tech-related videos do watch and subscribe to our YouTube channel. You can also reach us on Facebook and Pinterest.