Table of Contents
The internet is capable of answering all of your questions. After all, it contains a sea of information on almost every topic under the sun. But, you can also not deny the fact that the internet also has its share of downtime. What would you do if you are in a situation where you have no internet and you have to deal with a document with a not so easy vocabulary? You can always download the sources for offline use and as far as vocabulary is concerned, this is where offline dictionary apps can make your life easy.
With the following offline dictionary apps for Windows, you will have the meanings of words on your fingertips and will not have to battle with difficult words.
Best Offline Dictionary Apps for PC:
1. The Free Dictionary
The widely acclaimed “The Free Dictionary from Farlex” is possibly the most comprehensive dictionary on the web. What’s even better? It has now come up with a free offline dictionary version that lets you have access to word meanings even when you don’t have an internet connection.
- This English dictionary app Contains specialty dictionaries – where you can find meanings of words from varied domains like legal, financial, medical, etc.
- Access several other dictionaries in over 13 languages and translate words in 40 languages of more.
- The free dictionary app also gives you an opportunity to contribute to humanity – You get badges while you learn and exchange them for meals for hungry children
Rating on Microsoft Store: 4.7 Stars
2. WordWeb Dictionary
WorldWeb Dictionary is one of the best dictionary apps available. It has meanings of more than 85000 words and phrases, all of which can be accessed with just one-click. Not just that, for any word or phrase, WordWeb also gives you comprehensive information on several other aspects related to the word such as synonyms of the word and parts of speech.
The English dictionary app offers One-click look-up of a word in all versions of Windows
- Correct pronunciation notation symbols and easy to understand examples for the usage of the word
- Easy integration of other dictionaries such as Collins, Oxford, Chambers, etc
WordWeb dictionary is free dictionary app, you can even choose a paid version of the app as well. The pro or the paid version includes more than 70000 audio pronunciations. It even gives you the facility to add new words. In addition to that, with the paid version of this offline dictionary, you can also search for your choice of web references.
Rating on Microsoft Store: 4.6 Stars
3. Advanced English Dictionary
AED short for Advanced English Dictionary is a free offline dictionary for Windows has everything that you would expect from an outstanding offline dictionary app. It comes preloaded with a database of meanings of over 400000-word entries. Also, AED has a very pleasant, clean and very modern interface that makes the experience even better.
The English dictionary app offers clear phonetic notations of words
- Audio pronunciation (UK and US) of words along with etymology
- Automatic word suggestions automatically appear as you type the words in the search bar
- Clipboard search lets you copy your entire content and find its meaning
- Easy navigation – you can move back to previous words
- Image gallery for nouns
Rating on Microsoft Store: 4.5 Stars
4. The Sage English Dictionary and Thesaurus
It’s a fantastic English dictionary app with a corpus of 12.4 million words can never go wrong. Let’s delve a little more on the numbers, the dictionary offers etymologies of more than 82000 words and over 1.9 million relationships which are inclusive of synonyms, hyponyms, antonyms, hypernyms, etc. Both the free (standard) and paid versions to come with a myriad of features which put it amongst the best dictionary apps available.
- Choice of view – retro, classic, speller assistant or e-paper
- Comprehensive rhyme assistant that suggests you rhymes of a word on several criteria
- Contains an integrated anagram research
- You can search definitions from words or vice-versa
To Wrap Up
Words are so intriguing, isn’t it? But at times, they can baffle you. With the above mentioned offline dictionary apps and several others for Windows, you will never ever have to scratch your head to find meaning or context of phrases and words.