Table of Contents
‘Windows 10 is low on memory’ is one of the most common errors often experienced by Windows users. This further refers to lower virtual memory on your Windows computer. It is exactly a problem that leads you to lags and malfunctions. This becomes quite hassling when you get this warning all over again and again.
As we always say, there is always a reason behind a problem and the same applies here as well when you receive an error ‘low memory on Windows 10’. Let us tell you a few instances wherein you can fix this annoying problem. Have a look below:
|Common Instances When You See ‘Your Computer Is Low On Memory’ Error.
1. Your computer is low on memory (but it’s not): Sometimes the alert appears on your screen but the PC memory is working fine. This means that the computer might have misinterpreted the memory indicators.
2. Your computer is low on memory Claymore: This error means that the cryptocurrency miner is using too much memory. As a result, you get low memory alerts.
3. Your computer is low on memory black screen issues: The low memory warning alerts lead to black screen errors. Here, you need to reboot your PCs.
4. CutePDF Your computer is low on memory alerts: Sometimes, CutePDF (a PDF converter) also displays low memory on Windows 10 error. This usually happens when you wish to print the converted files.
5. Your computer is low on memory Excel: It creates a hassle while saving Excel files on your system.
6. Your computer is low on memory Dying Light, Call of Duty, WoW, and more: This instance is for the gamers out there. And this happens because games use a large memory space.
These common instances are worth your wait. You could relate to them while experiencing low memory on Windows 10 error.
How to Fix Your Computer Is Low On Memory Error On Windows 10?
There are various ways to fix the error that says ‘your computer is low on memory’. Here are the ways explained:
1. Close The Programs That Are Using Too Much Memory
To fix the error low memory Windows 10, you can close the program using the steps below:
- Right click on the Start icon or search for Task Manager.
- Go to the Processes tab and then click on Memory.
- Here, you can remove the processes that are no longer in use. To end the task, right click on any of the processes and click End Task.
This will help you fix your computer’s low memory error by closing multiple running processes that might be taking up more space or memory on your computer. Ensure that you remove only the processes that aren’t important otherwise you might be directly or indirectly damaging the operating system.
2. Use Windows Troubleshooter
Another popular way is to run Windows troubleshooting to fix error ‘computer is low on memory’ error. Here’s how to do this:
- From your desktop, press Win+F keys.
- You’ll see a Search box, type in
- From the next window, choose View All > System Maintenance.
- Tap on Next and wait for the process to finish.
Alternatively, you can use Windows 10‘s built-in troubleshooting tool. For this, follow the steps below:
- Head to Settings and navigate to Troubleshoot.
- Scroll below until you see ‘Find and fix other problems’.
If you have multiple apps on your computer taking up more memory space, you can use the Windows Store Apps troubleshooting tool. Sometimes, even when a program is forcefully closed or is not working properly, you might see errors on windows computers saying ‘your PC is low on memory’. You can fix this after running System Maintenance troubleshooting as explained above.
3. Manually Increase Virtual Memory
There are instances when Windows is allocating too much virtual memory to some of the programs and hence leading to ‘low on memory’ errors. You can fix this, following the steps below:
- From the Start menu, use the search box to look for Advanced System Settings.
- Double click on the first result that appears.
- Then, go to the Advanced tab , Performance panel and choose Settings.
- On the next window, click on the Advanced tab again and choose Virtual Memory. Click on Change.
- Next, uncheck Automatically manage paging file size for all drives.
- Now, choose Drive (Volume Label) and opt for Custom Size.
- Add any size as per your requirement in megabytes. Click on Set to confirm.
This will help you increase your virtual memory and solve the low memory issues in no time.
4. Repair Your Registry
Follow the command line as explained below to repair registry on windows PC to resolve low memory error messages.
- Open Command Prompt using the search box and choose ‘Run as administrator’.
- Wait for the Command Prompt window to open. Now, type in sfc /scannow command and press Enter.
- Wait for the process to complete. Restart your computer and that’s all!
Easy, isn’t it? Check some of the best Command Prompt tips and tricks here.
5. Update Your Operating System
Many times system updates too create hassles and restrict people from working. It will display ‘your computer is low on memory’ alert again and again. To get rid of this, try updating your operating system. Remember, Microsoft keeps on rolling out Windows updates in order to improve the system’s stability and fix various issues. Just quickly check for system updates. For this,
- Press Win + I or open Settings.
- Go to Update & Security.
- Go to Windows Update and click on Check for updates. Install latest updates, if any.
6. Check Your Disk For Errors
Here, you need to take help of Command Prompt to run a disk check. Follow the steps below to check your disk for any errors:
- Open Command Prompt from the Start menu.
- Type in chkdsk C:/f. Press Enter to proceed. You can replace C: with the hard drive partition you wish to check. Also ensure that you add /f after your disk partition name. This will help you detect and repair logical issues that might be causing some errors to your drive. For physical check and repair, type in chkdsk C:/r.
Try this out to fix ‘your computer is low on memory error’.
7. Clean Your Temporary Files And Folders
Follow the steps below to clean temp files and folders located anywhere on your computer and taking up memory space.
- Locate Disk Cleanup from the search bar below.
- Launch the app and wait for it to open.
- Select the disk you want to clean or free up space from.
- Click on Clean up System Files.
Alternatively, you can use Disk Analyzer Pro for windows if you wish to automatically clean up space hogging apps and programs. To use this tool, follow the steps below:
- Download and install Disk Analyzer Pro using the link below.
- Launch the app and buy its registered version.
- Once done, choose which drive to scan and click on the Start Scan
- Wait for the scan to complete, you’ll then see all the files and folders classified into different categories.
- Click on any of the files and you’ll see a number of options. From here you can choose to delete selected files. This will help you free up memory on your computer.
This tool is a perfect choice for your disk related needs. To know more, read a detailed review of Disk Analyzer Pro here.
8. Remove Recently Installed Software
In case you have recently installed a few software or programs on your Windows computer, you can follow the steps below to remove them. Doing this will probably help you get rid of low memory errors on your computer. For this,
- Go to the Start menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
- Select the programs you have recently installed or added.
- Click on Uninstall. Restart your computer to apply changes.
With this you can free up memory space and fortunately, you won’t see ‘low on memory’ error messages again on your computer.
So, these were some of the best ways to fix ‘your computer is low on memory on Windows error’. Try these ways out and let us know which method helped you to deal with the ‘low memory on Windows 10’ problem. We’ve recommended Disk Analyzer Pro in the article above as the best tool to keep your drive organized. In most of the cases, ‘your computer is low on memory’ error can be eliminated with a mere restart or closing multiple running programs using Task Manager. In case it continues to display again, try out the other ways explained in the article.
If you are still unable to fix the error, you can consider upgrading your PC RAM. For any help or suggestions, feel free to connect using the comments section below. Also you can use our Social Media platforms to reach out to us.
If these guidelines are not helpful to fix these issues, you must expand your RAM. If you have any questions regarding this issue, leave us message in the comments below.
Keep following Tweak Library for more troubleshooting tips.