What Is Rootkit and How To Get Rid Of It?
Rootkit is a type of malware that enables root access on the victim’s system while hiding. Rootkit name is made up of two words “Root” and “Kit”. This malware hides itself in the lower layer of OS, therefore it is hard to detect its presence on a system.
Your system can get infected from this malware from different sources and after infecting the system it will give admin privileges to the criminals, who can then access all your information.
How Can Your System Get Infected?
Rootkits can be installed on your system by many ways. There are no fixed sources to get rootkit downloaded on user’s system.
Below you will find some of the sources from which rootkit can be downloaded:
- Downloading software from unreliable sources.
- Clicking on the links from spam email.
- Downloading and opening attachments from spam emails.
- Rootkit can be installed on your system bundled with some other legitimate software.
- Removable media is also one of the sources using which Rootkit can be installed on your system.
- Rootkit can also get to your system from hacked webpages.
Also Read: Keyloggers: How To Stay Protected?
Below you will find some points that you can follow to prevent yourself from Rootkit:
- Always keep security software installed on your system.
- Keep your OS updated as new patches are being released by the manufacturers.
- Regularly update your security software.
- Enable firewall on your system.
- Do not download any file from untrusted sources.
- Do not download and open any attachment received from unknown email.
Also Read: Do I Need an Antivirus Program for My Mac?
Note: Take regular backup of all your important files. For taking backup, you can use Ransomware Protector.
How to Get Rid of Rootkit If Your System is Infected?
Rootkits are nasty piece of malware, and they can be real pain once you get infected.
You can perform the steps below to ensure proper removal of rootkit:
- Make sure that your system is disconnected from Internet.
- Restart your system in safe mode.
- Remove all the files from your system which you have downloaded from Internet recently.
- Uninstall all software that was Installed.
- Scan your system using good antimalware software.
Note: If you still think that your system is infected, take immediate technical advice and format your system (Formatting your system will delete all your files and start your system fresh).
Staying protected in this online world is necessary. All our information nowadays is somewhere on this virtual world and on your system. This information can be accessed by anyone who has the knowledge and resources. Your personal information can be used for malicious activities and it will harm you mentally and financially. So be prepared to fight the criminals.