The internet today is the biggest information source and on the other side it is full of sensitive and crucial information for other age groups. Is it okay to keep everything open to be accessed by anyone who uses your computer or laptop?
Well the straightforward answer is No especially when you have children in your house. There are many potential harmful websites that need to be blocked with immediate action so as to prevent your kids from accessing it, accidentally.
Restricting one or more websites on the internet is a must-do thing since we all are working from home, our kids are learning at home and these digital devices are the key source of information. Parental controls come here as the great option, wherein you restrict access to harmful websites and keep your kids safe from accessing such content on popular browsers like Chrome, Opera, and Firefox.
What Does Term ‘Parental Controls’ Mean?
Parental Controls are the features or software that allows a user to monitor and restrict the online activities of a person. Usually, this is done to prevent children from accessing harmful and sensitive content. There are several programs that can help you block and filter websites and their content. Not only this, there are many tools that can record the online activities, limit the time and much more.
How To Use Parental Controls On Different Browsers?
Set Up Parental Controls On Firefox
When it comes to setting up parental controls on Firefox, it is important to know it doesn’t have any built-in feature to restrict access to sensitive content. But you can feel free to use one of the many add-ons available. Here we will be considering Parental Control: Family Friendly Filter. Here’s how to use this:
- Open Firefox and visit the Parental Control: Family Friendly Filter
- You’ll see an option to Add to Firefox, click on it to download the extension.
- Once installed, it will block all inappropriate searches on Google.
The extension is very simple to use but it doesn’t block access to domains. For this, you have to choose which domain you wish to blacklist or whitelist as per your usage. Follow the steps below to set which domain to keep restricted and which not:
- Open Firefox and visit Firefox’s add-ons page or you can quickly press Ctrl + Shift + A.
- In the list of add-ons, choose Family Friendly Parental Control. Click on the three-dots icon for more options.
- You’ll see a new window with Whitelist and Blacklist options. Now add domains you wish to either put in whitelist or blacklist category.
This is one of the many parental control add-ons for Firefox, you can try other ones as well that can suit your requirements.
How To Use Parental Controls On Opera
If you use Opera Browser, you can explore its long list of add-ons and choose the best parental control extension to make your browser more personalized and secure. Here’s how to use this:
- For Opera users, we recommend Adult Blocker (Parental Controls).
- Go to the Adult Blocker Page and click on Add to Opera.
- Wait for the extension to install. Once installed click on it to open and set a password to continue.
Just like any other parental control tool or extension, Adult Blocker can block harmful domains. Not only this, you can edit or modify blacklist or whitelist anytime.
How To Use Parental Controls On Chrome
Last but not least, you can always use parental control extensions on Chrome browser. To control the access of websites on Chrome, follow the steps below:
- Open Chrome and navigate to Chrome Web Store.
- Find Parental Control under the extensions tab.
- Click on Add to Chrome and it will start downloading the extension.
- Once installed, you’ll be asked to set a password.
- Ensure that you set one and you are all set to go!
Installing this extension will help you restrict access to harmful websites. But remember, installing a parental control tool on Chrome will not block harmful search results. However, you are always free to customize the list of blocked websites.
Parental Control Extensions Are Great Help!
So, these were the best parental control extensions and ways to help you restrict access to sensitive and harmful content on the internet. These parental controls help you secure your child’s mental health by restricting their access to unwanted websites and content online.
Which parental control software do you use? Do let us know if you use one in the comments section below.
Keep reading Tweak Library for more such content.
How to use Mac Parental Control on Mac OS High Sierra
Enable Parental Control / Restricted Mode on All Devices Your Kids Use
Leave a Reply