Table of Contents
It was ages ago when you set up the password of your Wi-Fi network. And now when you need it again you do not have any idea of that password. But luckily there is a way using which you can easily find your Wi-Fi password on Windows 10.
In this article we are going to discuss three easy ways on how to check the Wi-Fi password that is stored in Windows 10.
Ways To Find Wi-Fi password on Windows 10
Find Wi-Fi password on Windows 10 through Windows Settings
One of the easiest ways to find a Wi-Fi password on Windows 10 is through Settings. However, before proceeding with the steps please make sure you are connected to the same network whose password you wish to view.
1. Click on the Windows Start button and click on the gear icon to open Windows Settings.
2. On the Windows Setting screen click on Network & Internet.
3. Now on the next screen that opens click on Status from the left pane. Now in the right pane scroll a bit until you find the Network and Sharing Center option, and then click on it.
4. This will open the Network and Sharing Center screen. Here under View your active networks click on the Wi-Fi network you are connected to.
5. Now on the next screen that opens, click on the Wireless Properties button to open Wireless Properties screen.
6. Now on the Wireless Network properties screen, click on the Security tab at the top. Next check mark the option Show Characters which is by default unchecked.
7. Once you check the Show Characters box, it will show you the WiFi Password for the current connected network in the Network Security Key box.
You can now pen down the Wi-Fi password or save it in a document. Also make sure to again uncheck the Show Characters box to conceal your Wi-Fi password.
Show Wi-Fi password on Windows 10 through Command Prompt
Command Prompt which is also known as Command Line tool is one of the most powerful tools that comes with Windows 10. Believe it or not but you can do almost any task in Windows with command prompt. Getting the Wi-Fi password for the connected network is one of them.
Moreover as compared to the previous method you do not have to navigate through various steps for finding your Wi-Fi password. A single command, yes we mean it. Just a single command typed on the Command Prompt screen is enough to view the Wi-Fi password on Windows 10.
Don’t feel comfortable using Command Prompt then read our article Use Command Prompt Like A Pro – All About Command Prompt
1. Click on the Windows Start button and type Command Prompt in the Windows Search. On the top most results which is Command Prompt, right click on it and select Run as Administrator.
2. On the Command Prompt screen type the following command
netsh wlan show profile
This will show you all the networks, i.e. the one you are currently connected to along with all networks you were connected in the past.
3. Now, locate the network you are connected or for which you get the password for.
4. After locating the network type the following command
wlan show profile nameofWi-Fi key=clear and hit Enter key
Note: nameofWi-Fi will be replaced by the Wi-Fi name of the network for which you wish to get the password.
5. Scroll a bit and you will find the Wi-Fi password for the network in the Security settings in Key Content section.
Find Wi-Fi Password using Wi-Fi Finder Application
If you find both of the above steps cumbersome to find a Wi-Fi password on Windows 10, then you can use a third party application. All you need is to download and install the app and it will help you to reveal the Wi-Fi password with ease.
1. You can download the Wi-Fi password revealer program from here.
2. Once you have downloaded the application double click on the program and follow the online instructions to install the app.
3. After installing the product launch it by double clicking on the program icon.
Voila! This amazing application will now show you the Wi-Fi passwords for the network you are connected to along with the networks that you have connected in the past. It will also show you a detailed view of the authentication, encryption and connection type.
Please note that although this method helps you to view the password for the previously connected network, however, if any of the passwords have been changed since, then the passwords that you get, will won’t work. But if the network still uses the same password then you can connect to that easily by using the password shown by Wi-Fi password revealer.
So guys now you no longer need to remember at least your Wi-Fi password. As now you have three ways to find your Wi-Fi password on Windows 10. Do let us know in the comment box below which of the above methods you tried and find the most convenient to check your Wi-Fi password.