How To Enable Restricted Mode In YouTube On Your Smartphone
While YouTube has tons of Videos for Kids of all ages, it also has content that is not suitable for them.
What is even more disturbing, the presence of numerous Videos on YouTube that look like versions of popular cartoons, but contain disturbing and inappropriate content which is clearly not suitable for children.
YouTube advises that you make use of its Restricted Mode Filtering to protect kids from being exposed to inappropriate content. Once you turn on Restricted Mode, YouTube will automatically filter out objectionable Videos on your device.
Before going to start, it is important that you are aware of the following.
- Restricted Mode works on the browser and device level. This means that you need to Turn ON YouTube Restricted Mode separately for each device and each browser that you use on a device.
- You will not be able to see the comments on YouTube Videos when Restricted Mode is Enabled.
- You can Lock Restricted Mode on your device by logging into your Google Account and clicking on “Save and Lock Safety Mode” instead of “Save”. It will keep the YouTube Restricted Mode always enabled for anyone using your device.
Also, you need to be aware that YouTube Restricted Mode Filtering may not always work as intended. This is because YouTube relies on Video Title, Description, Metadata and Community Feedback to filter out inappropriate Videos.
Hence, it is quite possible for a Video to bypass the Restricted Mode in YouTube, in case the Video was not Flagged by the community as being inappropriate or containing content that is not suitable for kids.
In this article, we will look at the steps to enable YouTube restricted mode on iPhone and Android Phone.
Enable Restricted Mode On YouTube App For iPhone or iPad:
- Open YouTube App on your iPhone or iPad.
- Next, tap on the Account Icon located at the top right corner of your screen.
- On the next screen, tap on the Settings.
- On the Settings screen, tap on Restricted Mode Filtering.
- Now, tap on Strict to set Restricted Mode Filtering for the YouTube App on your iPhone.
Enable Restricted Mode On YouTube App For Android Phone or Tablet:
- Open YouTube App on your Android Phone or Tablet.
- Next, tap on the 3-dots Menu icon located at the top-right corner of your screen.
- On the next screen, tap on the Settings option in the menu that appears.
- On the YouTube Settings screen, tap on General.
- Now, enable Restricted Mode by moving the toggle to ON.
That’s it! Now you can enable restricted mode in YouTube on your smartphones, you can rest assured to a certain level that your kids won’t come across inappropriate content while using YouTube.