How To Disable SmartScreen Filter In Windows 10
Windows 10 SmartScreen Filter is a safety feature that uses application reputation-based technologies to help protect Windows users from malicious software. This browser independent technology checks any new application before installation, blocking potentially high-risk applications that have not yet established a reputation. The Windows SmartScreen app reputation feature works with the SmartScreen feature in the default Windows browser, which also protects users from websites for potentially harmful content as determined by Microsoft’s servers.
When you enable SmartScreen Filter on your computer, it sends information about your downloads to Microsoft’s servers where this information will be analyzed and compared with Microsoft’s database of malicious apps.
In case the reputation from Microsoft’s servers is positive, the SmartScreen Filter will allow you to download and run the App. However, if the reputation is negative, it will prevent you from downloading or running the App.
Why Disable SmartScreen Filter?
When SmartScreen Filter is enabled, it provides an additional layer of security, in addition to the Antivirus program that you might be using on your computer. However, if you are experiencing problems and performance issues on your computer due to SmartScreen Filter, you need to disable it.
Here, are some reasons due to which you need to disable the SmartScreen Filter on your computer:
- When the SmartScreen Filter is unable to find information about the App that you are trying to download or run on your computer. SmartScreen filter does not allow you to download/run genuine or harmless content.
- In Some instances, SmartScreen Filter does not allow to download Word Documents from Google Drive that you have uploaded to Google Drive.
Disable SmartScreen Filter in Windows 10
- Click on Start button, scroll down the list of apps and click on Windows Defender Security Center option.
- On Windows Defender Security Center window, click on the 3-bar menu icon located at the top left corner of the window.
- On next window, click on the App & browser control option and disable the option for Check Apps and Files.
- On the same screen, scroll down to SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge. You can select the Warn/Turn OFF option, in case you are noticing performance issues and the SmartScreen does not allow you to download genuine/harmless Files and content to your computer.
- On the same screen, scroll down to SmartScreen For Windows Store Apps. In this section, SmartScreen Filter for Windows Store Apps comes into act only when any app that you have downloaded from Windows Store tries to access the internet.
As per your consent, you can choose to Warn/Off in the SmartScreen Filter for Windows Store Apps.
So guys, if you are experiencing problems and performance issues on your Windows 10 computer due to SmartScreen Filter, you can use the above steps to disable SmartScreen Filter in Windows 10